Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Immersion blender and KC style BBQ sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Immersion blender and KC style BBQ sauce

OK, my "crowd favorite" BBQ sauce is a modification of the Kansas City Classic BBQ Sauce Recipe

we all know and love. I add a few more spices, use honey from my beehives, some smoked Ancho chili powder...oops, nearly gave away my "secrets"

What has always bothered me is when I strain this sauce there is a lot of lovely smelling gunk (onion bits, pepper bits, etc.) that won't go through the strainer and although I have tried to use it different ways, it is usually tossed.

So this time I had an idea. As the sauce was well on its way to simmering perfection I took the immersion blender and went to town on it. Sure enough, I could find no pieces that wouldn't go through a slotted spoon. Imagine the disappointment when the amount that wouldn't go through the very fine screen sieve I use was maybe 75% of the typical amount.

The good news is that there does seem to be a bit more lovely flavor than normal. I am thinking I should just use a lttle corser sieve next time as my existing one picks up a noticeable amount of black pepper (the largest bits).

Anyone else have a better way?

I don’t have a better way, but I haven’t found a difference in flavor between strained and unstrained. If you like the bits, leave them in, don’t bother straining the sauce. Or, if you like it strained, don’t sweat the missing bits.

Comment

I also modify that recipe for my competition chicken BBQ sauce. I as well immersion blend it. But I do not strain or use a sieve. I think it’s definitely an amplified flavors blending all those chunks in!

Comment

Get a strainer with a coarser screen, +/- re-blend the "bits" in a little liquid after the first screening. Good luck.

Comment

Maybe a food mill?

Comment

If you take you chinoise or other fine screened coned strainer, take a 2oz-3oz ladle and push it through with the back of the ladle in an up and down motion. Be careful with hot stuff as it may spit at you.

you can also take the larger chunks and blend it and then push that.

Comment

Vitamix

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                That's what my wife said when I bought her a Breville. My daughter now has the Breville!

It isn't clear to me why you are bothering to strain it??

Comment

• fracmeister
                fracmeister commented
                Editing a comment
                If unstrained I have big enough chunks to block the nozzle of my squeeze bottle.

fracmeister Gotcha--plugging the nozzle. Maybe try blending the sauce in a blender or food processor? Stick blenders don't do a good job of mincing finely. Another alternative might be to use a wider mouthed bottle. I use Grolsch 16 ouncers for sauces and salad dressings.

Good luck!

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                HorseDoctor commented
                Editing a comment
                Agree with larger nozzle on squeeze bottle but not on immersion blenders. Try an Epica and be patient!!! Awesome kitchen tool!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here