Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what travels best.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what travels best.

I am going to family for July 4th and need to bring BBQ for 10 . My thoughts where a Butt (not to be shredded till arrival) and maybe some ribs (which could be finished on their (ugh!) gasser with sauce. Have to drive about 1 1/2 -2 hours. Any thoughts appreciated.

Do butt and brisket. Both travel extremely well if you rest it on the trip.

Comment

The butt doesn't know if the faux Cambro is in the garage or the trunk of the car* for that 1.5 - 2 hrs.

*Do yourself and your family a favor and keep this out of the passenger compartment for the drive over there. You will get really tired of smelling it, maybe to the point of nausea.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
        LA Pork Butt commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ll second that.

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        Words of experience right there!

But or brisket will stay warm in a cooler for hours. Ribs would be more difficult, but possible if you can fit them in the cooler.

Ribs also don’t feed as many.

Comment

A cheaper and easier replacement for brisket would be shredded chuck roast. It cooks about the same as a butt, but normally to a higher temp.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve R. View Post
          The butt doesn't know if the faux Cambro is in the garage or the trunk of the car* for that 1.5 - 2 hrs.

*Do yourself and your family a favor and keep this out of the passenger compartment for the drive over there. You will get really tired of smelling it, maybe to the point of nausea.

taking the suv and the dog!

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh, poor puppy!

In that case, I would probably seal the cooler up in a garbage bag or something. Seriously, I had no appetite at all by the time I reached my destination the first time I did this with the cooler just sitting in the back seat of my truck.

Comment

I would cook the ribs, wrap them in foil and place in a Faux cambro. Do the same with the butt and you will be just fine.

If need be, you can always reheat the ribs under the broiler or on a hot grill. I prefer to use an oven, as the grates on a grill can damage the bark.

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              I second that. Nothing wrong with saucing and searing on a gasser. Done it myself more than once. The butt will travel well.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, I have cooked a shoulder overnight. I got up in the morning and then drove 5 hours with the shoulder in the Cambro. It was perfect by the time I got there, with a slight reheat in the oven to firm up the bark. Troutman

Ribs are always at their best served right off the smoker. I never liked the idea of resting ribs for a long transport and then trying to reheat. Pork butt and briskets I have transported and reheated on several occasions and never seemed any worse for the wear.

Comment

If you do a large Boston butt and a brisket, then wrap both and place them in a cooler (preheating the cooler with near boiling water will help) then fill air voids with towels fresh from the drier - and it will stay safetly hot for a long time.

Plan to have the meat done the morning you leave. Preferably being the last thing loaded up before leaving.

Also you could get a thermoelectric cooler. These units plug into a 12vdc source (vehicle plug or 120vac transformer) and will get hot or cold inside depending on the polarity you choose. They will get to about 160 on the hot side and 40 on the cold side - depending on the ambient temperature.

Thermoelectrics make good road trip coolers, they don’t need ice. Just 12vdc.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here