Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show us what you're cooking - 3/6/2016 through 11/7/2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meat meet my BELLLLLLYYYYY!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Billy Idol is on the forum?? martybartram

• martybartram
      martybartram commented
      Editing a comment
      Who knew she was talking to Ernest, Jerod Broussard ? "With a rebel yell she cried "more, more, more" More, more, more."

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      I thought she yelled wee weeee wee wee all the way home?

I feel like I have not cooked in ages. Cooked once on vacation, once the week I got back, and I was out of town all last week. College boy was complaining about feeling lethargic so I said lay off the Mickey D's and taco hell and he said why don't you get back to cooking. So time to get back in the groove: Game changer MMD chicken breasts, fire roasted habanero, Cherokee and celebrity tomatoes, avocado, and romaine. Tomatoes and peppers are from the garden.

Comment

• Tim E
      Tim E commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks good. Tough to beat fresh peppers and tomatoes from the garden!

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      A great looking cook. You just can't beat fresh tomatoes.

• martybartram
      martybartram commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks peeps!

Second of my heritage breed chickens. Slightly better result than the first. But I'm really unhappy with the product. Tough tendons, nasty skin. These, sous vided, buttermiked, floured, fried. Breast, once you took off the skin, reasonably tasty. The thigh, not terrible. The second joint of the wing, the meat was okay, but I had to use a knife to open one of the joints so I could rip the other one opened. The top of the drummette, very hard to get the meat off the bone and connective flap. And the drumsticks... just unpleasant eating due to all the connective tissue in it.

I've now made disappointing results from a vertical roast and a sous vide with these birds. I've sent a letter to the company. I think I'm gonna ask the folks at ChefSteps also.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Potkettleblack; August 1, 2016, 08:13 AM.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Editing a comment
      I'd blame it on that Diet Coke.

Bummer on the high maintenance chicks.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      I contacted the provider, and they are refunding for the two failures and offered four recipes for the remainders. I'm picking over the recipes for ideas and techniques. Two day buttermilk brine might not actually be the worst idea, though I need to reread my Goldwyn/Blonder

A few T-Bones on the Keg last night, after I pulled the brisket. The keg was up too 500 F in no time after pulling the brisket. I used some "Hardcore Carnivore" rub. That stuff is pretty damn good. And it gives you an awesome seared crust.
    ​ Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0948 3.JPG
Views:	328
Size:	281.2 KB
ID:	202593
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0945.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	250.0 KB
ID:	203043
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Spinaker; August 1, 2016, 09:57 PM.

Comment

DWCowles, NoDak, DW, I stole Your S&P Rib Rub Yesterday! I ain't bringing it Back! I am taking it to the Sweet and Sticky in Dickey ND Rib Cook Off next Year! It was my first Cook on an Oklahoma Joe Offset Smoker I just bought! I modified it before the first Fire! Added an Adapter for BBQ GURU DigiQ DX 2 Temp Cont. with the Large Viper Fan! Both the FireBox and the Cook Chamber were lined with Fire Brick. A Baffle Plate and Sealing Kit by SmokerMods.Com were added! I had intended to get the Smithfield Ribs on by 11:00 AM? I got the S&P (Kosher Salt & Coarse Grd Black Pepper) on them about 8:45. By the time I got the Fire Started and up to Temp it was nearly Noon! I used a combination of KBB, Cowboy Charcoal, and Apple Wood Logs for Smoke! Basically I spent the rest of the Afternoon monitoring the Fire and Temps! At 5:45 I applies a Finishing Sauce to the Ribs it was made with: 1/2 C each Yellow Mustard & Kraft Honey Mustard Sald Dressing, 1/2 Stick Melted Butter, and 1 TBS each of Garlic Powder & Paparika! At 6:00 PM it was time to eat! Eunice made a Fruit Salad and had picked up some Potatoe Salad and Garlic Bread to Round Off the Meal! Four of us Ate, Everyone said they were the Best Ribs Ever?
    Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Danjohnston949; August 1, 2016, 09:34 AM.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice work Dan, great looking ribs!

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee, ecowper, Thanks Guys, I have seen the Pic's of Your Cooks! I think I better keep Practicing, Huskee you're the Ringer in this Show and it Shows! 😚🤔🤔😚. From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND,
      Dan

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      That's some fine looking ribs, Dan

Congrats on the new Offset!!!! It looks like you got that bad boy all pimped out too brother. Once again, I will look North-west for your smoke signals. Great post man!!!!! How do you like the offset life? More fun or just more work?

Comment

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Buddy, at least the Problem is Mine Alone? 😪😭😭😭😪. Dan

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      I see them as well.

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Guys! Dan

Sous vide fried Chikin

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Time & Temp... and looks like you fried in a low carb way?

First try at belly bacon. Used all three of the MH recipes. One batch of each. Ten days in the cure. Smoked at 225 with two chunks of hickory. Update: Just pulled the asian bacon off the smoker. Wow! My favorite of Meathead's 3 bacon recipes.
    Last edited by Thunder77; August 2, 2016, 10:17 PM. Reason: Added content

Comment

• richinlbrg
      richinlbrg commented
      Editing a comment
      Thunder77 , how did you like them? Will you do it again? Which do you like the best?

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      richinlbrg, I really like the regular bacon. I like the maple, but would cut back on the syrup next time, a little sweet for me. I haven't smoked the Asian recipe yet.
      Last edited by Thunder77; August 3, 2016, 07:47 AM.

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      I will definitely do it again. It's an easy cure to do. 7-10 days, and I used ziploc bags. Each batch was about 1.5 pounds.

Potkettleblack went in 155 degrees hot tub time machine for about 3 hours. I was out doing other things, but 2 hours would do as well.
    At this point it's fully cooked so I keep some in the fridge, debone for salads, quick fry without worrying about internal temp etc.
    Zero carb, absolutely no dredging involved. Crackling skin, moist interior.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. Seconding the thought that you should be working for Saveur in either recipe development or photography.

Here is the small little Brisket I finished up on Sunday night. The Keg ran great. It was about a 11 hour cook. I'd say I averaged about 245 F. I kept it in the cambro for about two hours then cut some slices and threw here in the fridge. This was a personal 11 lb brisket. I will get some damn fine samies from this alllll week.
    Big PopperSmokers, Cash Cow on the rub. No injection, Overnight brine.
    Thanks for looking !!

Name:	IMG_0950.JPG
Views:	297
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	203473

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      😜... Mmmm, looks good my friend.👍

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Man! Its a no glory pic, just a point and click, but I haven't been posting my cooks lately so I thought I should...... Guest

Mirai sweet corn, SV. Have never had corn this good.
    Attached Files

Comment

I'm really jealous Potkettleblack . I went down to the garden to check my Mirai yesterday only to find that raccoons had totally destroyed the whole patch. It was a few days from being ready, but the little b@$t@rds didn't care. I was able to salvage 1/2 of one ear. This was my first time growing Mirai, so I was really looking forward to tasting it because of all the great reviews.
      Last edited by RonB; August 2, 2016, 08:55 PM.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        I am crying. This is so good that I'm mad for you.

• Danjohnston949
        Danjohnston949 commented
        Editing a comment
        Guest, If You raise Sweet Corn in Coon or Deer Country You Have to Stand Watch Over Night! You Could Get a Good Dog to Help but if the Dog gets a Taste of Corn it Will be Worse than the Coon's! I have heard a double line electric fence works? One wire 3-4" AGL the 2nd @ 20-24" AGL, G'Luck, Dan

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        @Danjonston949 - The garden is fenced with a 9' fence, (2 X 4 wire). Ain't no deer jumpin' that, but the raccoons can climb it... But I could add an electric wire and smear a little peanut butter on it.
        Last edited by RonB; August 3, 2016, 07:01 AM.

Cooking a couple NY strips for the wife and I ... Kids are off doing summer stuff with friends ....
      Attached Files

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Breadhead have I ever mentioned that my family ... after the long haul from the dust bowl .... ended up near Visalia? Or that I worked for Sisters of Providence and Little Company of Mary hospitals? Who are in Torrance, among other things?

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Guest ... My family migrated from Oklahoma to Buttonwillow, Ca during the dust bowl, the Grapes of Wrath, was us! My grandfather was 100% Cherokee Indian, I'm 25%. I lived in Torrance for a while with in walking distance from LC of M and I once lived in Seattle.😆
        Last edited by Breadhead; August 3, 2016, 12:40 PM.

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Lots of connections there Breadhead

A quick easy dinner. Salmon with a home made tarter sauce (Dukes mayo, pickle relish, lemon juice and dill), a neighbor's tomatoes, and a little cuke salad just for Jerod Broussard .
      Attached Files

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Editing a comment
        Salmon and cucumbers...just woke up to torture.

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        That's a beautiful meal...👍

• MBMorgan
        MBMorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        Jerod Broussard - Bad Jerod! Bad!

I split an 8 pound pork loin. I coated one piece with Herbs de Provence and the other with pepper and garlic powder. I rarely sauce, but my wife wanted a thick coating on the pepper/garlic piece.

Name:	IMG_6856.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	203632

Name:	IMG_6862.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	203631

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Editing a comment
        What a beast. I thought the 5.85 lb (pre-trimmed) loin I got was big. I trimmed mine down to 5 pounds and have it curing for canadian bacon.

• fuzzydaddy
        fuzzydaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        Sam's pork loins are always huge.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here