Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show us what you're cooking - 3/6/2016 through 11/7/2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 8 lb pork butt at 7 hours. Lid removed to knock off ash and add KBB, and to flip the butt.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6684.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	195278

Wow! About 1/4 to 1/3 of the KBB still left.

Name:	IMG_6686.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	195279

Bonus photo when I was lighting 12 KBB in the SnS just before midnight.

Name:	IMG_6669.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	195277

Comment

• Harry
      Harry commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful. The blue flame is, too.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      So how long did that butt take? It sure was looking good at 7 hours. Thanks for the post!

K.

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc it's still on. Probably will be 14 hours. That's my typical kettle + SnS time.

Boneless leg of lamb following a 10+ year old recipe from 'Food & Wine'. The lead-in paragraph says it is based on the lamb basting sauce that the Bosley family uses at its Moonlite Bar-B-Que Inn, Owensboro, KY. Basically, it is water, cider vinegar, Worscestershire Sauce, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Note: no garlic. My Dad would not go near lamb unless it reeked of garlic - a holdover from his WW II days on board aircraft carriers when Australian and New Zealand lamb was a staple. I'm pretty sure he'd have loved THIS basting sauce, however. Finished it at 125 degrees with direct/indirect cooking per "The Science . . ." Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3123.JPG
Views:	421
Size:	224.0 KB
ID:	195310 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3121.JPG
Views:	442
Size:	237.0 KB
ID:	195311

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Very nice, Harry!

• martybartram
      martybartram commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice color! Looks delish!

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful I would definitely eat that.

The butt probed like buttah at 196 IT, in 12 hours and 45 minutes. The last 4-1/2 hours the Florida sun was bearing down and I ran 240 to 250 which shortened the cook some.

In the bright sun it looks a little orange in the first photo.

Name:	IMG_6693.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	232.4 KB
ID:	195419

Name:	IMG_6694.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	195418

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Love that bark!

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice cook Fuzzy...👍

That is inspiring.

Comment

Here's the final picture of today's butt on the Weber Kettle and Slow 'n Sear. My wife said "best ever" and looks like I got a nice smoke ring. I added the butt and 4 small chunks of cherry from Fruita as the temp hit 175. Oh my was the taste spot on for my family.

Name:	IMG_6699.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	195613

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Double drool. That is sooooo pretty, fuzzydaddy !

• Mitrakas
        Mitrakas commented
        Editing a comment
        x3 that is a perfect picture. What a great job on that cook!

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Quadruple drooool... You nailed! Great looking food and your picture is like Ernest 's beautiful pictures.👍

Late last night I started some chuck roasts (and a rack of ribs) on the Yoder stickburner with ash wood. When I went to bed this morning they were at 199 so I tasked my wife with the finish work (watch it and let it get to 205-207, cambro it, shred it) to which she did marvelously. All together they got about a 13hr smoke plus a 1-2hr cambro hold. I used about 15 or 16 ash logs, about 12-14" long most split into quarters (slightly smaller than the average bonfire-sized pieces) from startup at ~7pm last night until ~9am.

So tonight at work I have leftover ribs and fresh pulled beef! Yummmmm.

Name:	IMAG0216.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	340.6 KB
ID:	195635

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks great!

• Harry
        Harry commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee, I've never used ash, but we do have a few "trash" trees I've got to cut soon (too close to the house). SO I don't have to do any work (smile), can you tell me what it's like? What flavor? Seems pretty mild. Should I save some chunks?

• FLBuckeye
        FLBuckeye commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee I have looked for a pulled beef recipe here on the site and can't find one. Can you elaborate a bit? TIA

Seriously, can you make it any better than that? I am going to get a chuck roast today and try that. Thanks for the inspiration

Comment

So, I visited Huddersfield in Yorkshire, England. Beautiful neighborhood, did some hiking, and some cooking :-)

A local butcher named "Keith the butcher" (of course...) provided the meat. What a treat it was visiting a butcher that raises his own pigs, then butcher and sell them. A small family business. I love to buy food at places like this. Also, my friend just bought his first kettle, a classic Weber, so I was giving him an intro into proper bbq. We did a lot of veggies (broccoli, lemon, gem salad) the first day, then went for a classic pork belly on day II. I was cooking without a thermometer (the one in the lid was there, but very unreliable), so I had to wing it. I laid out a classic snake, and cooked the pork belly with briquettes and beech wood until inner temp was 203° F (95° C). Due to a lack of water pan I sprayed it every 40 minutes with concentrated apple juice.

The cooks were very successful, and the pork belly was out of this world. It didn't leave the cutting board, we ate it right after slicing, with a cool beer. I think that pretty much is the ideal cook in my mind, sharing great food like that.

Here's the butcher, doesn't get more British than this, does it?

Name:	keith.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	195788

Here's the pork belly, ready for rest, then it's time to dig in

Name:	porkbelly.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	195787

Comment

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          Now that's just beautiful!

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Ohmigosh, what a great-looking pork belly. No wonder you all ate it right off the cutting board!

Kathryn

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! I'm gonna have to agree with you all on this one. Pork belly is a really great and juicy cut of meat.

Did a couple of 10 pound picnic ham shoulders for a party last night. 24 hour dry brine, then mixed up my first batch of Meatheads Memphis dust. That is a marvelous rub recipe that I'll be using again, thank you Meathead. Then on the 26 weber kettle with SNS at 225 with a Thermoworks cable to monitor kettle temp and a separate probe in one of the shoulders to monitor temp. 7 hour overnight cook. I soaked 1 lb Rancho Gordo dried pintos and then put them in slow cooker with 4C water, bay leaf, and epazote for 2.5 hours on low to cook the beans. 7 hours later when I awakened, the kettle temp had dropped to 170 so I dusted off ash and added more KBB brickets and water to SNS and then put the pan of beans with its pot liquor under the shoulders to catch the drip for the remainder of the cook. Seared an onion on the SNS and tossed it in the beans along with a few slices of the fat from the shoulder, more epazote, a little bbq sauce and dusted top with garlic powder and piconcillo sugar. There was a lot of liquid in the bean pan which really helped stabilize the temp and kept me from having to constantly stir. Also having the bean pan on the other side of the SNS water pan on the bottom grate kept temps cooler and stable. Got top grate temp back up to 225 and continued until shoulders were at 198-203, another 8 hours. Removed pork and beans from kettle and drained beans in a colander and then put that tasty shiny drip and bean cooking liquid in a pan on stovetop and reduced it by half or more until thickened and added back to beans. As good as the pork was, I liked the beans even better. Smoky, totally tender but not at all mushy, with great flavor from the drippings and epazote. Served on small slider rolls with some homemade red cabbage sauerkraut and a homemade vinegar cucumber salad with onion and fennel, all veggies from our CSA.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice cook. I was surprised with a 26" kettle yesterday. My deltoids grew 3" (NO PED's I swear!) just from lifting the lid last night for assembly.

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          OMG dude, I'm drooling on this

Congrats Jerod Broussard on the 26" Kettle. You must have been doing a lot right lately to get that! My 26" lid does not need binder clips as it fits very well.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          With the weight of the lid causing the tires to sink in the concrete, I don't see how binder clips would add any significant compression.

Nice pickup Jerod!!! You are gonna love it. I just picked mine up for fathers day and love using it at every opportunity.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          I have a fundraiser to cook for the 29". Now I can have the Pit Barrel, 22" kettle, and 26" kettle loaded down, and the gas offset on standby.

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          What are you going to cook for the fundraiser?

Congrats Jerod ( Jerod Broussard ) on the new 26"! (and to David ( David Parrish ) on the pending sale of a new SnS XL) ...

Comment

Congrats Jerod Broussard on the 26" kettle

Comment

WOA, Jerod Broussard !! CONGRATD!! What's the occaission?

You're gonna LOVE it! Now you need the SnS XL!!

Comment

As I wait for my KBQ pork belly....

Comment

• Ernest
                Ernest commented
                Editing a comment
                Breadhead and it's packed with anchovies.....

• fuzzydaddy
                fuzzydaddy commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh my, that's very very nice!

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Yuuuup. The Lodge Hibachi is awesome. And I love putting it on the KBQ. Rippin' good time.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here