Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show us what you're cooking - 3/6/2016 through 11/7/2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooked some beef short ribs yesterday. The meat quality was absolutely top notch. I've done short ribs before, but never been really satisfied. Until now. Will keep buying from this butcher.

Check out the amazing fat marbling on these two, they weighed in at 2 kilograms (4.5 lbs):

Click image for larger version

Name:	beef_short_ribs_raw.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	182736

I applied a custom rub (will post recipe later) that turned out just right.

Here they are with the rub applied:

Name:	beef_short_ribs_rub.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	182737

And the final product, juicy as can be:

Name:	beef_short_ribs.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	182738

I smoked them for 2 hours, then wrapped in aluminum foil and let them run for another 2 hours. I then unwrapped them, applied a thin layer of pure honey and glazed them over direct heat for 5 minutes, turning regularly. The internal temp was 90Β° C (194Β° F) when I took them.

I was happy, and the guests were happy. Mission accomplished

Comment

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      Goodness gracious man!!

• bbqoaf
      bbqoaf commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks awesome

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks folks!

Father's day brisketπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ Possible because of the Slow N Sear. Smoking at 275Β°
    Last edited by Hagen; June 19, 2016, 06:36 AM.

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh yeah... You got that rig looking good! What temperature are you cooking at?

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice shot! (and brisket!)

Breadhead's buns with Meathead's burger. Lettuce from the garden and this year's first ripe tomato.

Comment

Michael Brinton ...

WOW! You nailed it dude.πŸ‘ That's a beautiful Steakhouse Steakburger.😜 Meathead will be proud of you too. The bun looks perfect. The crumb is very open and airy. That's the difficult part to achieve for most bread makers. I can tell you did everything just right.πŸ‘Œ

Good work Sir.
      Last edited by Breadhead; June 19, 2016, 10:43 AM.

Comment

WOW!! What a combo! Home garden lettuce and mater, all the experience here, breadhead's bun and MH's burger. Does it get any better?

Comment

The last brisket in the freezer was 95% flat with just a touch of point. Here it is pre-dry brine.

Name:	IMG_1504.JPG
Views:	379
Size:	237.0 KB
ID:	182939

And below are the trimmings. I dry brined them as well after pulling out the hard fat. After dry brining I froze the trimmings to be ground later and added to the lean ground beef we get from our butcher.

Name:	IMG_1509.JPG
Views:	374
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	182940

Below are the two sides of the cut after 36 hours of dry brining.

Name:	IMG_1508.JPG
Views:	372
Size:	234.8 KB
ID:	182941

Name:	IMG_1510.JPG
Views:	374
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	182942
          Brisket went on the weber at 8 am with cherry and hickory.
          But only after a coating of Big Bad Beef Rub of course.

Name:	IMG_1511.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	182943

Name:	IMG_1512.JPG
Views:	369
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	182944

Time Meat Temp Actions
          9:17 am 118F 72F outside, clear and sunny
          10:51 153F
          11:27 156 Wrapped in foil (bottom 3 layers) and butcher paper (top 2 layers)

Name:	IMG_1514.JPG
Views:	346
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	182945
          12:34 pm 172F
          2:05 196F Unwrapped
          2:19 181F
          3:00 169
          5:00 194
          5:30 197 Probed like butter and had a little bounce

Name:	IMG_1521.JPG
Views:	350
Size:	252.6 KB
ID:	182946

She is ready to go. I had reserved the au jus when I unwrapped the brisket and added it to a cup of beef broth. I sliced the small piece of point off the flat, cubed the pieces and put them in the au jus. I let them sit for a couple of minutes and then pulled them out and slathered them with sauce. They went onto the direct side of the grill until the just started to sizzle. Then they were brought in and served as burnt ends.

Name:	IMG_1529.JPG
Views:	362
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	182947
          mmm those burnt ends
          Next I sliced the flat

Name:	IMG_1522.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	182948

Plated the beef with Asian cold rice salad and then sprinkled with herbed cherry-smoked salt

Name:	IMG_1528.JPG
Views:	379
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	182949

I am stuffed!! I have to admit to take a little pitmaster privilege as I was slicing the flat. I learned one thing: I will not unwrap a flat again. Tightening up the bark was not worth losing the moisture it gained or kept during wrapping. I thought it was a touch dry and put some au jus over it. Leah disagreed and said she could not wait to make sandwiches with it. Then again she doesn't care for the burnt ends because they are fatty, she likes the lean stuff. Her not eating the burnt ends is why I am so full! Someone had to eat them!
          Hope all you fathers had great days. And I hope that all of you had great memories of your fathers today whether they are still with us or not.
          Have a great week Pit Master Peeps!

Comment

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            Outstanding cook Guest ... You killed it man!πŸ‘ happy Father's Day to you.
            Last edited by Breadhead; June 20, 2016, 08:17 PM.

• richinlbrg
            richinlbrg commented
            Editing a comment
            GREAT job!!!!

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Nicely done!

Originally posted by martybartram View Post
          I am stuffed!!
          Me too ... and that's just from looking at your pics ... nice cook!

Comment

Happy Father's Day all.

Nothing makes me happier then Bad Ass Brisket (a prime packer of course), and Burnt Ends a bit later for "dessert".

Cheers,

W

Name:	IMG_7671.JPG
Views:	343
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	182991 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7673.JPG
Views:	349
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	182992

Comment

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice!!

• martybartram
              martybartram commented
              Editing a comment
              Is it wrong to have brisket envy?

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              If I could... I would buy just brisket points and make nothing but burn't ends out of them.

Burn't ends... The caviar of BBQ.😜😜😜

Dinner is served!

I don't really do the whole Father's Day thing coz 9 times out of 10 it turns out to be about NOT me. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Ernest View Post
              Dinner is served!
              And it's excellent, too!

Comment

Hankering for smoked meatloaf tonight. 50/50 ground beef and pork. Nice dusting of rub.

Name:	IMG_20160619_141904446.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	183021

About 4 hours at 250 F in the Smoke Vault. Smoked with hickory and apricot wood.

Comment

• bbqoaf
                  bbqoaf commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Smoked meat loaf is so good.

Inaugural smoke on my new 26" weber kettle. 6 pound pork shoulder, dry brine 48 hours in advance. Rubbed this a.m. with Rancho Gordo chili powder and a little goya adobo. I never smoked at 225 before, always higher, but purchased a Maverick with a food probe and an oven probe so wanted to put both to use. Warm and dry but still took over 13 hours to get to 191 degrees. Cooking temp stayed between 200 and 240. Came out delicious and a beautiful bark but used about 4/5 of a bag of Kingsford brickets over the day! Is that normal? Chopped and mixed the pork with a vinegar based sauce with some of the chili powder and a batch of meatheads sweet-sour slaw cuz I hate mayo. Happy Father's day!

Comment

• martybartram
                  martybartram commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's a lot of charcoal! Sounds like you need an SNS.

• Mitrakas
                  Mitrakas commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My bad, forgot to mention I have a SNS. I added hot briquettes to it as I was replentishing the fire.

richinlbrg ... My response to your post #590

Not for me...πŸ‘

That picture posted by Michael Brinton above, by a Pit member, bragging about the ultimate Steakhouse Steakburger was the "vision" I saw when I suggested to Meathead he photograph his "world famous" hamburger patty with a beautiful bun, with great condiments, and make that burger really invitingly beautiful.

I really had no intent to be the one to create the "Ultimate Brioche Hamburger" bun, none! Meathead and I discussed it. He thought it was a good idea... So I started working on it. First thing I had to do was guess how to spell "Brioche" because I wasn't familiar with that type of bread, yetπŸ˜†

I told Meathead I would create a Brioche recipe/formula, bakers don't have recipes, they have scientific formulas.πŸ™„ that are reproducible and are easy to scale up and down, so you can bake 6 buns or 600 buns, with the same formula.πŸ‘Œ

Having studied bread, bread science, and learned how bread dough was suppose to look and feel at each step of its development, I decided, I can do this.

Then... Being the ex-entrepreneur I was in my younger years, I decided to recruit highly skilled talent, for advice and direction.πŸ˜† I went to my bread mentor, Jacob Burton, the founder and owner of StellaCulinary.com

I said Jacob... I need a crash course in baking brioche hamburger buns.😎 I explained to him my conversation with Meathead and why I wanted to do this project. Jacob was busy on other projects and not crazy about helping me. But... Having worked in sales for about 40 years, I convinced him he would greatly benefit from this project if... We pulled it off.πŸ˜†

He and I worked on hamburger buns for about 2 months. Changing ingredients, changing processes, techniques and methods. Trying to make it so, non bakers, could pull it off, make it work.

I can say this... Michael Brinton 's post almost made me cry.πŸ˜…

I made no money to make this happen. I never baked bread until I was 60. I would NEVER have baked bread had I not own a BGE.πŸ™„

I just did it to see if I could.😎 I just smoke BBQ to see if I can.😎 I like the challenge, the science, the Learning process more than I like bread or BBQ.πŸ€”

PS... Michael Brinton ... If you want the BEST morning toast, with your coffee, put that EXACT dough in a loaf pan and bake it. Then slice it to put in the toaster.

PS... Michael Brinton... If want some kick ass DONUTS, use that same EXACT dough and shape it like a donut and deep fry it.πŸ‘Œ

PS... @Michael Brinton... Thanks for your post.πŸ˜†
                Last edited by Breadhead; June 19, 2016, 08:21 PM.

Comment

I'm still lovin' this thread - keep the pics coming.

Comment

Happy DAFD! Good Morning RIBBERS ONE AND ALL! It was Smoked Pork Butt for Fathers Day @ the Johnston House Yesterday! A Local Grocery had an
                  unadvertised special on Hormel Pork Butts for $1.69/Lb. I was like a Shoplifter when I Grabbed that +8lb'r out the Bin! Dry Rubbed with Kosher Salt for
                  8 hrs then Dan's World Famous BBQ Rub, spritzed with Apple Juice, Lemon Juice, Lime Juice, Garlic Juice and Worsteshire Sauce topped off with Tarragon
                  and Cider Vineger Mix! This helps set the Rub. 5:30 AM lit the Grill, 6:15 Butt on the S 'n S and Weber withe DigiQ-2 Fan Humming away!
                  At 5:00 PM (11hrs) the Maverick indicated 201*, Wrapped it in Foil, into an Insulated Freezer Bag and into a Cooler for an Hour, Two to Trree Hrs would
                  have been Better but I was Hungry? While the Pork was in the Cooler I put a Whole Vidalia Onion Peeled and nearly all the way through with an Apple
                  Wedge and Core Cutter, into a foil pan Spritzed with above plus Salt & Pepper and topped with a Slab of Butter! Cooked Indirect for 1 Hr on Weber and Vortex! A nice addition to Pulled Pork!
                  Eunice fixed Sweet Potatoe Slices Topped with Sliced Apples w/Bown Sugar and Cinnamon in the Oven and a Fruit Salad with Pretzel Rolls, Shawn threw
                  In a Bottle of "Terrible Red Wine" I didn"t waste any Memory with a Pic of it?
                  Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• Breadhead
                    Breadhead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Great cook Dan the Man! A well cooked pork butt is a beautiful thing. I never wrap butts either.

That onion is killer... Putting that on my must try list!πŸ‘Œ

• Henrik
                    Henrik commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's a beautiful hunk o' meat! Great job!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here