Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show us what you're cooking - 3/6/2016 through 11/7/2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time for some juicy burgers. I smoked these with cherry wood, cooked indirect until inner temp was 122° F (50° C), then reverse seared them until inner temp hit 131° F (55° C). I cooked two burgers, each one weighed in at 250 grams (8.8 oz). Seriously good stuff. Served it with bacon, lettuce, onion and the usual.

Indirect heat, smoking with cherry

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7010.JPG
Views:	407
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	180732

If you're looking you ain't cooking :-)

Name:	IMG_7015.JPG
Views:	429
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	180733

Getting the heat up for some searing action

Name:	IMG_7017.JPG
Views:	415
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	180734

And the burger, ready to go. Get in my belly :-)

Name:	IMG_7022.JPG
Views:	389
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	180731

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Is "Henrik" Swedish for "Home Run"??

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Not that I know of, but I think I could start making a case for it ;-)

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a manly burger!!

Just last evening's dinner. It's a simple minute steak (cube steak) with zucchini, grape tomatoes, capers, garlic, EVOO, and lemon zest and lemon juice. Wonderfully tasty and awfully healthy!

Name:	IMG_1318.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	180797

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree, nothing wrong with the steak, but those veggies look fresh. Gotta love the pig too :-)

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      That's Pete The Salt Pig and he was given to me by a dear Friend. He doubles as a salt well and has had a place on my table ever since he arrived about 2 years ago. Great pig!

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I am developing a fondness for Pete the salt pig. He is cool. I hope he makes many more pics!

Originally posted by richinlbrg View Post
    Tried something new tonight. Not that great.

Got 2 mongo strips. Brined one in our usual Montreal seasoning. On the other, I tried a new rub a friend gave me, an Old Fashion Coffe Rub for beef. Brined them for a few days, then sat them in sealed bags and gave them a 6 hr water bath @130*F, then over the SnS on warp speed for a nice sear.

My goal was to try to make the strips almost as tender as a filet. The water bath rendered out some juices, which knocked off some of the rubs. The strips came out VERY tender, but not so tasty. - a bit bland. The meat was not dry, but it was not juicy, either. Unless I did something wrong, likely the last time I'll try this. Did I let them in the bath too long?

Huskee , the coffe rub is not for me on steaks. Just not bold enough for my taste. I'll go back to Montreal on steaks.

Not a fail, but won't do it again, either.
    richinlbrg ...

I recently posted a thread about cooking 2 USDA Prime New York steaks that were 2 1/2" thick. 1 I cooked Sous Vide for 11 hours at 133.5°. I SV'ed at that temp because the steaks were so thick I knew the interior temp was not going to rise very much during the quick searing process. The other I cooked the normal reverse sear on my son's new gasser. I dry brined both steaks overnight with just salt before starting the cook. No other spices were added until right before they went on the grill.

When the one getting the reverse sear was approaching 120° I took the SV steak out of the bag and dried it with a paper towel and basted on some beef love and put a rub on it. It was ready to sear. I went out to the grill and that steak was at 120°. I took it off the grate, cranked up the fire to Warp 10. I blotted that steak dry, basted on some beef love and hit it with some more rub. I seared them both together.

The end result was... The one that was SV'ed for 11 hours retained much more of its moisture and was more tender. Notice in the pictures below the difference in the thickness of the 2 steaks after the searing process. They were exactly the same size before I started cooking them. The thicker one is the SV'ed steak. The more pink one on the plate is the SV'ed one.

Your 6 hour SV certainly is not effecting your steak negatively, IMHO. If anything I would suggest going longer, not shorter.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Breadhead; June 14, 2016, 08:27 AM.

Comment

• richinlbrg
      richinlbrg commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Breadhead !

I might get 2 more and try one reverse sear and one longer SV. Gotta love the side by sides!

• CapeMay
      CapeMay commented
      Editing a comment
      2.5 inch fairly tender steak like a NY should be ready to sear at about six hours. What benefits do you feel you're getting out of 11 hours?

CapeMay ...

According to my Modernist Cuisine cookbook regarding Sous Vide cooking that thickness of steak will be ready to sear in less than 4 hours. However it also says with longer times in the hot tub you can expect a more tender product. Then it goes on to explain that you can over do it which can make your meat passed tender to the point it becomes mushy.

Comment

• CapeMay
      CapeMay commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Guest - Thanks, I have the same book. 63 mm is in the 4.5-4.75 hour range @ ~132 F. Another resource says just < six hours. Have you ever tested something closer to those times v. 11 hours to see if there's an appreciable difference in tendernous?
      Last edited by CapeMay; June 14, 2016, 02:26 PM.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Have some in for 24 hours, and it's not to my liking. With good steakhouse cuts, I wouldn't go too long, but if you want it really soft, you want something different than I want.

If I want something long and super tender, I buy something like short rib, and go 72 hours.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Editing a comment
      &quot;Just bacon,&quot; he says.

I smoked a couple Briskets last night (12# & 14#).
    Ran my pit @ 225* for 5 hrs before I crutched 'em @ 160 IT. They took 5 hrs more @ 285* before they hit 203 IT. Cambro'd for another 2 hrs and shot this pic They both wobbled nicely when they hit the cutting board: YEAH!

Comment

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      Now that's some kind go tasty looking Que! Very nicely done. Kudos and congrats to you. When is dinner served? I'll bring the beer and slaw.

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      10 hrs with the crutch sounds about right Oso21 they look dang good. Did you do them with your stickburner?

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a money shot right there!

Nice cook Oso21 ... 26 pounds of brisket in 10 hours! That's lightning fast. They look great.👍
    Last edited by Breadhead; June 15, 2016, 06:36 AM.

Comment

They look really good.

Comment

Thanks for the props everyone! Yes I did @DWCowles, used the Lone Star Grillz offset for this cook. The folks at work gave it high praise, which always makes me smile

Comment

"Man, THAT was a good dinner," she said. "Thank you," I replied, smiling. Pork chops brined with game changer brine and then dusted two ways. Two chops got Meathead's Memphis Dust and two got a dose of Aleppo pepper and rested in the fridge for three hours. The chops went on the indirect side and the corn went on the direct side to caramelize the sugars. The topside of the corn was basted with tarragon butter and rotated and basted again and again, then it joined the chops on the indirect side for about 15 minutes. Next the chops were seared lightly and the corn was basted and seared again. I dodged the rain on my way in from the grill and plated the food. Blue cheese cole slaw, adapted from a serious eats recipe, joined the meat and corn. Was so hungry I forgot to take a pic of the plated meal! #spicesinc #sns #webergrill #oakridgebbq
          Attached Files

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Editing a comment
            Hey, some guy ripped you off on Twitter!!!

• martybartram
            martybartram commented
            Editing a comment
            Haha or maybe I ripped him off! That guy posts the exact same stuff on Instagram too, lazy bashturd

Fresh gulf shrimp cooked quickly over the SnS for dinner tonight. Served with cole slaw and garlic toast. Mmm mmm good! The family didn't talk much during dinner.

Name:	IMG_6391.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	181361

Comment

• martybartram
            martybartram commented
            Editing a comment
            nothing like a quiet meal because everyone's mouth is full! Great looking shrimp!

A little chicken action on the stickburner.

I let the pit temp get to 425 F. just to see what will happen and the only thing that I notice is the skin split in spots other than that the skin was crispy and the chicken was still juicy and moist. I dry brine them in the fridge uncover for 18 hrs and used MMD rub. Also did one with Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce. Not to pretty but they were good. Click image for larger version

Name:	image_21975.jpeg
Views:	361
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	181385
          Last edited by DWCowles; June 16, 2016, 03:14 AM.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
            fuzzydaddy commented
            Editing a comment
            I'll be right over.

• bbqoaf
            bbqoaf commented
            Editing a comment
            I cook chicken above 400 for the crispy skin too, I find that's the best way.

• martybartram
            martybartram commented
            Editing a comment
            Those look great!

I told y'all that I love DUCK!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Editing a comment
            One day someone is going to yell, &quot;DUCK!!&quot; And everyone will drop down and Ernest will look around and exclaim, &quot;Where? I'm cooking!!&quot;

• Ernest
            Ernest commented
            Editing a comment
            HAHAHA! When ducks see me...... THEY RUN!

Quick and healthy!

Name:	IMG_1329.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	181520

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
            fuzzydaddy commented
            Editing a comment
            Beautiful (as always). I like the plump pig.

• CeramicChef
            CeramicChef commented
            Editing a comment
            fuzzydaddy - Thanks! I appreciate the feedback. And Pete The Salt Pig likes you too and send his best to you in Florida!

BEEF! That's what's for dinner

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here