Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show us what you're cooking - 3/6/2016 through 11/7/2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look Ma! I'm cooking with Wood!!! Ok I know yo guys dont need a pic of burning wood but its my proof that I am actually using wood. I asked for help a few days back about using my off set cooker. I was told practice, Practice, Practice. So I had a choice brisket that had been wet aging in my mini fridge (OK I had forgot about it?) So decided to practice yesterday. What followed was comedy of errors that produced some pretty stinking good Brisket. I had decided that the opening to between the offset and main chamber was to big so (in lieu of a tuning plate which I cant afford right now) I stacked up some old bricks from when the house was built and blocked the opening. Then using smaller splits of wood I was off to the races ok not really. The bricks worked to good and I was having trouble getting the main chamber up to temp. but finally the bricks got fully charged (heated up) and the pit temp even out a lot. So much so that I was only having to ad once piece of wood every hour or so to keep temp. Only problem I had gotten a late start so well when I put the meat on it was already late. It was 1 am before I got to 160 internal temp. The water box was doing such a wonderful job I had decided not to wrap. But Sleep was calling so I Cheated. I fired up the Pelet smoker got it 225 (its an old machine I had to use 2 hand held mini torches to get the pellets burning so that took a while as well can nothing be simple) wrapped the brisket and stuck in the wireless probe and went to bed. I turned on the alarm on the probe but form some reason it didnt go off at 203?? knowing the day I had had I set a timer for 2 hours as well. When it went off the meat was at 207 according to the probe. Ackkkkk! ran down and got it off the grill. Took inside and used my instant read, it went like butter, 203checked again in another area 204 another 201 hey I finally may have caught a break. So into the cooler for the rest of the night and off to bed! 10:30 this morning I got up and was like a kid on Christmas day. Cut into the still hot brisket and WOW juices flowing everywhere and man it was good!! Now mind you this was just suppose to be practice!! I didn't inject I used a all purpose rub (from this site) and it turned out wonderful! Gonna check it off to beginners luck (but I used a lot of the ideas you guys had giving me a few days earlier so that can be a coincidence can it? The pictures dont do it justice I would take more but most is already gone dang friends lol that being said thanks for the advice guys it worked out great!!

Comment

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      GadjetGriller - ill vouch for the fact that you used fire to great and incredible effect on this hunk of meat. Very nicely done. Any leftovers that you could ship to OKC?

• GadjetGriller
      GadjetGriller commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry CeramicChef I barely got any as I was trying to take pictures of it it kept disappearing. (I did stash a little away for supper tonight!!)
      Breadhead I was a set it and forget it guy but this was a promising start may be some more long days ahead but I'll get going earlier!!

• Paulie Brisket
      Paulie Brisket commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks Awesome!Nothing like brisket done with wood!

Yesterday's cook - it was cold and raining yesterday. Sous Vide pork chops with roasted red skins and apple sauce. A little bit of sour cream for the potatoes and a little bit of my W. Carolina BBQ sauce (it's not precisely Carolina - the recipe is posted in the appropriate spot in The Pit):

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0484.JPG
Views:	397
Size:	219.0 KB
ID:	164265

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks great. Sous vide for indoor cooks is fantastic.👍

Tonight's cook. Chicken thighs and potato rounds in the Performer with caprese.

Name:	IMG_0485.JPG
Views:	392
Size:	279.6 KB
ID:	164271 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0486.JPG
Views:	391
Size:	304.9 KB
ID:	164270

Comment

Nothing like a meal cook at home... bacon wrap stuff chicken breast
    Attached Files

Comment

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh yeeeaah!

• JeffJ
      JeffJ commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice!

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      Yum yum!

Found these pork whatevers in my refrigerator. I just started cooking them with zero end game.

And then it hit me after I got them out of the oven....... FAJITAS.

I wish I had some green peppers.

Comment

• JeffJ
      JeffJ commented
      Editing a comment
      That is the perfect base - not only is it good as it is but it lends a base for adding whatever whims the lucky recipients' desire.

• GadjetGriller
      GadjetGriller commented
      Editing a comment
      Awsome!! I would never had thunk to use pork for fajitas!! looks tasty!!

Tri-tip in sous vide for 10hrs at 133 then seared on cast iron skillet.

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      😋👍👌

Ok, let's set the record straight. In my previous post, some of you thought I eat like a king or that my definition of "meager" was a little skewed. Yes, I did cook all that food, but I purposefully left out the merely prosaic. Nothing could be further from the truth. How many burger, brats, and dawg cooks can you look at before you doze off. But just to prove a point here are more of the everyday cooks here at ChezChef. Notice the use of the disposable plates ... I'm a bachelor who HATES doing dishes! So, without further ado, here is my homage to the Merely Meager Cooks here at ChezChef!

Some Juicy Lucies

Pulled pork on TheBeast

Pulled pork

It doesn't get any more common that pulled pork and corn chips

Here are the burgers, brats, and dawgs

Here's something for the waistline

More burgers and brats on TheBeast

And comfort food ... the humble chicken pot pie

Ready to serve

See? There really isn't a big production every evening here at ChezChef! :LOL!:

Thanks for looking (again).

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow... TheBeast is fantastic. I would not be able to untilize that capacity but it would be nice to know you could.
      Last edited by Breadhead; May 6, 2016, 04:45 PM.

• bbqoaf
      bbqoaf commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice, chicken pot pies are one of the best comfort foods around. I recently filled my freezer with 8 pies made from a home smoked turkey and homemade stock from the smoked turkey carcasses. Out of this world.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      How about those Pot pies?!?!

Dunch again...😎

Chef John's Shrimp Efoutee... http://allrecipes.com/recipe/236320/...rimp-etouffee/

Oh my... This is really good grub.😋
    Attached Files

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      It looks really really good too!

I love pulled pork and I cook butts often (pairs only). These are going on the egg just after midnight with my PartyQ running the show. My son and daughter-in-law invited me over for dinner tomorrow, so I'm providing the main attraction.

Name:	IMG_5997.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	164565

Comment

Comment

Another good home cook meal
        Attached Files

Comment

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes fuzzydaddy you do. This was my first time and it won't be the last. I wrap about 4-5 asparagus in bacon, brush on some OO and season with some Old Bay. Then throw them on the gasser.

• SteveFromLafayette
          SteveFromLafayette commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks great DWCowles

• bbqoaf
          bbqoaf commented
          Editing a comment
          That looks fantastic.

Simple chili in the Performer.

I took ground chuck, formed it into loose patties and seared it directly over the hot coals. I moved it off to the side, removed the center of the grate and dropped in the cast iron wok. I let the wok heat up for about 10 minutes while the meat cooked indirectly. I moved the patties into the wok, broke them up, added beer and powdered spices. I also added canned tomatoes and chili beans, covered and let it go for a bit. Near the end of the cook I noticed it was looking a bit watery. So I added a couple of tablespoons of masa harina (Corn flour) and let it go for a few more minutes. As basic as it was the grilled and cast iron flavors added a lot of subtle complexity to a relatively easy dish to throw together.

Here are the pics:

Name:	IMG_0488.JPG
Views:	406
Size:	280.7 KB
ID:	164614 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0489.JPG
Views:	390
Size:	241.7 KB
ID:	164615

Name:	image_19750.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	242.4 KB
ID:	164617

And then, for good measure, a hot air balloon landed in our backyard.

Name:	image_19749.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	164616

Comment

• Jon Solberg
          Jon Solberg commented
          Editing a comment
          Hope you charged them a landing fee! Those dudes think they can get away with everything causes they got no control. ; )

• JeffJ
          JeffJ commented
          Editing a comment
          He said he was angling toward the High School but ended up having a perfect line into my yard. He said the grass looked green and he went for it. It was cool. The balloon people were really nice and a bunch of neighbors showed up to watch.

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          you should at least get a free ride JeffJ

Moscow Mule.

Feta and jalapeño stuffed olives. Yeah, they're there.

Comment

Put these 8 lb'ers on at 2am this morning for dinner with my son and his family. I never open my egg until ~195 IT which is usually around 14 hours, so I took a quick look down the top and snapped this photo. The neighborhood is smelling good this morning.

Name:	IMG_6006.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	164685

Comment

• richinlbrg
            richinlbrg commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks great, fuzzydaddy !

ENJOY!

• fuzzydaddy
            fuzzydaddy commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you richinlbrg!

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            14/16 hour no peek cooks are standard practice for us Eggheads...👍

It nice to be able to set it and forget. Egghead's live longer because they get lots of sleep.😴

Beautiful cool weather this week in Central Kansas, had to get the Yoder YS640 cranked up. Wife bought me an Amazing Smoker Tube, so with the outside temp at 70 degrees, we cold smoke 5 lb of Mozzarella cheese. Works great with sandwiches and anything else you want, even for a snack.

Wednesday was chicken breast. Cranked out 24 of these beauties. Preseason with salt and mixed pepper (black and cayenne) then smoked with Mesquite to a temp of 160 then covered with aluminum foil. The family really loves these.

Thursday was Beef Roast day. 3 5 lb beef roasts preseasoned with salt and mixed pepper and injected with beef bullion and house seasoning. Smoked at 225 until reached 160, then wrapped and cooked to 200. Placed in a faux chambau for 2 hours. Sliced like a dream, and tasted just as you would think.

Now, what else can I find to cook?

Attached Files

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            Top shelf stuff!

• fuzzydaddy
            fuzzydaddy commented
            Editing a comment
            Your food looks great! At first glance I thought you were cooking marshmallows.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here