Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show us what you're cooking - 3/6/2016 through 11/7/2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork butt! Dry-brined overnight, rubbed and in the smoke at 6:30AM. About 9lbs so I expect this to be ready late afternoon.

Comment

• Mickeylou5
      Mickeylou5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you leave them in the foil pans when you smoke them?

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      No, I prep them in the pan, then smoke 'em naked until past the stall or at around 170 internal temp. Then I pan them up again and add some butter, molasses, and just a *touch* of maple syrup and cover with foil.

boftx Looks good to me!! What are you cooking these on?

Comment

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      An OK Joe COS, the small one. Using mesquite splits. I'll add more pics when it is time to pan it after the stall.

It's gonna be a smoking weekend in Michigan. Giving my New Camp chef smoke vault a workout starting with chicken thighs DB 3 hours, then MMD and smoked 1 hour mostly on high. Delicious! Topped with Alabama white sauce! Kicked it up a notch. Early tomorrow into the camp chef will go a 5 lb chuck roast and a 9lb pork butt. Can't wait! Also made naan and new england hot dog buns. Stay tuned!

Comment

Mud bugs today!
      Attached Files

Comment

First PBC pork butt fresh out of the stall, headed for foil. 5lb pork butt, 8hr. dry brine, MMD rub, 4hr. hang in the barrel. Finish and it's off to the pig sauna (faux cambro) for an hour or so. depends i'm hungry. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0348.JPG
Views:	357
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	162376

Comment

Coke floats for dessert!
        Attached Files

Comment

• SteveFromLafayette
          SteveFromLafayette commented
          Editing a comment
          Took pic a little late, haha!

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Partial to root beer and cream soda myself...

• SteveFromLafayette
          SteveFromLafayette commented
          Editing a comment
          I wanted those, but my friend brought diet root beer by mistake...

Well, I got home from work a little before 5 and it's cold and rainy here in Michigan today. So, my options were limited. Pork chops in the Smokey Joe, mashed cauliflower and a nice spinach salad my wife put together.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0482.JPG
Views:	367
Size:	281.7 KB
ID:	162397 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0483.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	262.8 KB
ID:	162398

Comment

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks really good!

by Back Ribs a la Huskee on the new offset:

Name:	ProShot_20160430_204321-01.jpeg
Views:	366
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	162577

Name:	ProShot_20160430_204554-01.jpeg
Views:	354
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	162477

Name:	ProShot_20160430_205458-01.jpeg
Views:	357
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	162478
        Last edited by Dewesq55; May 1, 2016, 07:19 AM. Reason: Added 1 photo which was misbehaving yesterday

Comment

• JeffJ
          JeffJ commented
          Editing a comment
          That is some serious smoke ring!

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          Nice...barkalicious

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, very nice!

Karubecue is feeling neglected because of all the rain we've had. Decided to do some prime sirloin steak using sous vide and reverse sear.

Sealed and ready for the bath.

In the bath at 141°F for 90 minutes, which is more medium than medium rare.

Searing on the gas grill with some Montreal Steak seasoning.

And ready for me and my son.

Comment

• JeffJ
          JeffJ commented
          Editing a comment
          Very nice. I just did my first sous vide cook yesterday. 131 for 90 minutes and seared in a cast iron skillet when it came out of the bath. Cool stuff.

• badf00d
          badf00d commented
          Editing a comment
          JeffJ, glad you enjoyed your first sous vide cook. A couple of things I really like is the ability to flex on time without overcooking or drying out the food, and the repeatable results. I ordered a second sous vide unit so I can make mine medium rare while everyone else gets medium.

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          Dedication right there to medium-rare.

Yesterday. Easiest Cook Ever with Weber OTS (22.5) and SnS. @140, set the Exhaust 50% and Intake 25%. Took 58 min to hit 225, but I attribute that to setting the vents a little early and the fact I forgot to Binder Clamp the Lid down. Didn't do anything* other than turn the ribs after about 2.5 hrs. Temps averaged mid 230's for the duration; peaked at 243 once or twice. Next time I might knock the Intake down to a crack to see if I can stay in the almighty 220's.

These are Pork Loin Back Ribs. Rubbed with CI's "Spicy Rib Rub" (the usual ingredients) and finished with Sweet Baby Ray's Honey Chipolte Sauce. Didn't have Plum Sauce to make my Chipolte Plum Sauce.

Duration: ( Start to Finish ) 6hr 39 min. Cook Time: (Successful Bend Test) 4hr 57 min.

*anything... #1 and I cleaned out the garage ....

This is the Best Site Ever! Can't wait to get MH's Book!

-- Ed

Name:	Ribs_Slab.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	162522

Name:	Ribs_Cut.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	162523
        This is too funny...

Name:	Boil_ur_Ribs.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	162524

Comment

• Medusa
          Medusa commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! Couldn't have done it without this site and the excellent recommended tools!

-- Ed

• JeffJ
          JeffJ commented
          Editing a comment
          Nicely done!

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          Hurry up weekend and get here I'm hungry....they look great! Medusa

Eunice and I had Salmon for Dinner Sat Night! Cooked on a Cedar Plank with Mayo & Lemon Slices! Applewood & Hickory for Smoke!
        First Time Ever! Sorry no finished Pic! Not Too Bad IMHOP! Dan

Comment

• bbqoaf
          bbqoaf commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks great. It's almost wild salmon season, one of the world's great foods.

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks great Danjohnston949 To quote some guy I know "eat well and prosper!"

DEW

• Danjohnston949
          Danjohnston949 commented
          Editing a comment
          Dewesq55, bbqoaf, Thanks Gents! Sorry about the lack of a Finished Pic but Eunice jumped on it With Both Feet and Hands!
          I though I heard some Snarling Too! 😇😇😇. Dan
          Last edited by Danjohnston949; May 1, 2016, 11:08 AM.

Did El Pollo Loco style chicken again, with a few tweaks to the recipe and I bumped up the cook temp to get crispier skin. Getting there!

Name:	epl.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	162966

​
        Last edited by mgaretz; May 1, 2016, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Look close before you go all beer can cop on me. : )

BTW I love orange soda can chicken. It's really good.

Comment

• DWCowles
            DWCowles commented
            Editing a comment
            Great looking yard bird Jon Solberg

• Jerod Broussard
            Editing a comment
            Is that liver on the grate?

• Jon Solberg
            Jon Solberg commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep thats the liver. I always cook that off as a chef treat : )

Oh and a batch of flowering crab lump. This stuff looks pretty good!

Comment

My day started at 4am, first long cook on my CC smoke vault. Results were just ok. Not sure I am cut out for the low and slow. I didn't care for the Memphis dust on the butt and the chuck was a little dry. It's all getting packed for camping next weekend.
          I made a napa cabbage slaw using the Alabama white sauce. It complemented my favorite homemade Kansas city bbq sauce well. I will keep practicing.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here