Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show us what you're cooking - 3/6/2016 through 11/7/2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fresh shrimp poboys!
    Attached Files

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful. Photos are massive...running off to the right side on Firefox browser.

• SteveFromLafayette
      SteveFromLafayette commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks fuzzydaddy !

3 slabs of baby back ribs at the 5 hour mark. Maybe 2 more to go...we shall see. These are my first ribs on the XL Big Green Egg. I had to do a quick peek.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5880.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	160031

Comment

Going to have some venison cutlets this evening. Click image for larger version

Name:	20160423_174931.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	160066 Click image for larger version

Name:	20160423_175335.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	160067 Click image for larger version

Name:	20160423_172013.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	160068 Click image for larger version

Name:	20160423_173824.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	160069

Comment

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Lookit that juice! Nice work.

Finished baby back ribs. 3 racks about 3 lbs each. A bit too tender (some were fall-off-the bone) at 6 hours at ~225-230. They would have been perfect bite-off-the-bone at about 5.5 hours. I was surprised they cooked so fast on the Egg. Bark was not tough or chewy and the meat very moist. Happy family!

Name:	IMG_5885.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	253.0 KB
ID:	160096

Name:	IMG_5884.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	160097

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          I personally call the 3+lbers 'large' ribs, and I find most time the large ribs take 6-7hrs. Nice work.

• fuzzydaddy
          fuzzydaddy commented
          Editing a comment
          The left and right racks had MMD - about 4 tablespoons on each. The center rack had the same, plus about 2 tablespoons of dark brown sugar on top and was a notch (maybe 2 notches) better in taste.

• CapeMay
          CapeMay commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks nice. What works for me on my Egg (220 F) 3 hrs naked, 2 hrs pink butcher (layer soft butter, 1 C brown sugar, 2 T honey on the paper meat side down), 1 hr naked (last 20 minutes very diluted sauce). I rub with Honey Hog Hot from Meat Church. Excellent products and fantastic service!

Did a small bone in strip on the SnSd Kettle. First in a LONG time!

My kettle had blown off our deck (only a couple of inches) but this was a test to see if it was too far out of round to use.

Was happily surprised that the binder clips still stopped most of the leaks. Absent the clips, not so good.

Bottom line, I still have a useable kettle. Steak turned out well.

Comment

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          richinlbrg no pics...didn't happen 😎
          Last edited by DWCowles; April 23, 2016, 07:48 PM.

• fuzzydaddy
          fuzzydaddy commented
          Editing a comment
          DWCowles, exactly!

• richinlbrg
          richinlbrg commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup, I know the rules. We were just too hungry, and what I really cared most about was how the kettle would work!

Name:	DSC08396.JPG
Views:	373
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	160135 Final product. Cook took 18 hours. I was at 173 around 2:15p, so I wanted to make sure I finished by 5, so I wrapped and got it done around 4:45p. The final product was very tasty. The point was delicious. The flat was a little dry. I opened the wrap to check and the brisket was probe tender at around 200 to 201 IT in certain parts and I let it keep going, which I'm afraid may have dried it out. I had it in a faux cambro for a few hours prior to eating and right when I pulled it and put it in foil the IT crept up to 207 before it started falling.

Either way, my first brisket cook was a success. I didn't get the best smoke ring but the flavor was just fine. Personally, I'd rather just have a chuckie or I'm going to need a DigiQ.

Name:	DSC08396.JPG
Views:	422
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	160134

Name:	image_19217.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	160133

Comment

• boftx
          boftx commented
          Editing a comment
          Wrap or pan hat sucker at 170 and you'll have all the moisture you want. Looks good!

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          If you want a deeper smoke ring, next time try placing the meat on the kettle as it's heating up. Looks great!

• richinlbrg
          richinlbrg commented
          Editing a comment
          GREAT job!

CONGRATS on your first brisket!

Saturday night is fish night. Swordfish steaks and freshly harvested Maui onions on the grill.

Name:	IMG_20160423_184614353.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	160146

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Fish & Grill Grate's are grilling heaven.👍

• theroc
          theroc commented
          Editing a comment
          Absolutely. Can't imagine how I ever grilled fish without them!

Ribs in pbc, Trout in cookshack, chicken in soon napolean w/SnS. Click image for larger version

Name:	20160424_130913.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	160325
        Attached Files

Comment

It is not what is for dinner, but, the sous vide has gotten the better of me.

I don't have one. But I have a virtually unused Master built turkey fryer. I checked out temp control, and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't at least somewhat work. So I grabbed 2 vac-sealed frozen , thin (kinda junky) tenderloins outta the freezer and dropped into a 130 bath for about 90 minutes, threw on some Montreal rub and into a hot pan.

THIS has REAL possibilities! VERY GOOD!!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by richinlbrg; April 24, 2016, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Birthday weekend!

Friday night we celebrated with my side of the family. My dad took us all out to La Bisteca which is a phenomenal Italian steakhouse the features Piedmontese beef. Saturday we celebrated with my wife's side of the family and since that actually involved cooking so that's what I am writing about.

This was the menu:

2 slabs of SLC ribs
            Red beans and rice
            A really nice salad
            Cheesy bread from Great Harvest Bread Co.
            Dessert: Chocolate peanut butter pie - Graham cracker crust, a creamy peanut butter structure and topped with chocolate (chocolate chips melted into heavy cream and then cooled). Insanely decadent dessert!

My sister-in-law made the salad and it was really good. The bread was obviously purchased but we sliced it lengthwise and tossed it under the broiler just to toast it a bit. It was already larded up with cheese and garlic butter from the bakery so it didn't make sense to slather it with more oil and make garlic bread with it.

For the cajun beans...Dark roux with scratch-made shrimp stock formed the sauce. I sautéed onion, celery and bell pepper and also tossed in a couple of cloves of minced garlic. The base was seasoned with salt and cayenne pepper. The bean mix was cooked with a bay leaf as well. When everything was melded I squeezed in the juice from a lime and stirred in some fresh cilantro. I used brown rice and added a couple of TB of butter and some chicken base to the water for the rice and I used brown rice. All in all it had a nice Louisiana taste to it which was my objective.

I dry brined the ribs 2 days prior and hit with the rub one day prior. The slabs were cooked in a kettle + SnS using hickory, apple and Kingsford original. At the 6 hour mark averaging about 250 throughout the cook the ribs weren't quite done so I wrapped them for a half hour. They developed really nice bark and the KC sauce developed a nice glaze. The first time I used the SnS it maintained a rock steady temp. This time temperatures fluctuated a lot (I have a theory which I will share at the end of this write up) but stayed within my target range of 240-270 for most of the cook - I did have to make some minor adjustments to the top vent a couple of times. When it came time to wrap I had some sauce kind of stuck around the edges of the container so I added a little bit of apple cider vinegar and threw a little on the concave side of the ribs which were wrapped upside down. A little of this mixture stuck to the ribs and provided a nice little bit of acidity which added to the complexity. This may have been my best batch of ribs to date. They developed good bark, good glaze and were really tender and moist. I've pretty much always used baby back but I think spare ribs are probably better - with more marbling and more heft they took longer to cook which means they developed more flavor on the surface.

Here are the pics with my temp fluctuation theory to follow:

This was about an hour before I hit them with sauce.

Name:	IMG_0469.JPG
Views:	422
Size:	357.8 KB
ID:	160458

Just before they were wrapped.

Name:	IMG_0471.JPG
Views:	431
Size:	356.8 KB
ID:	160459

Name:	IMG_0472.JPG
Views:	437
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	160457

Name:	IMG_0473.JPG
Views:	450
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	160461

This was the wine we drank:

Name:	IMG_0475.JPG
Views:	413
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	160460

This was the meal:

Name:	IMG_0474.JPG
Views:	427
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	160462

Here's my theory regarding the temp fluctuations: erratic breathing.

The kettle was situated close to the garage with a ton of bushes nearby. It was a breezy day but it was constantly changing directions. Thus sometimes the kettle was shielded from the breeze and other times it was full-on. I think this may have affected airflow into the kettle thus making for some pretty sizable fluctuations. It didn't matter though. One thing I've learned from this site is these meats have a pretty big range of temps they can be cooked in and still come out great (I used to obsess about hitting and maintaining 225 - no more).

Comment

• David Parrish
              David Parrish commented
              Editing a comment
              NICE bottle of red! Ribs are good too

• JeffJ
              JeffJ commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, David Parrish. The red didn't suck. ;-)

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Piedmontese beef and a real Brunello in the same weekend.....wow! Nice looking ribs too.

Those ribs (and the entire meal) look awesome. Unfortunately I don't see any picture of the dessert - - I love chocolate, and peanut butter, and pit, and...!

Comment

• JeffJ
              JeffJ commented
              Editing a comment
              I have a picture of a piece of the pie but it didn't come out very well.

We have some leftover. Tomorrow (if I remember to do it) I'll take a picture of it and edit my original post.

Pacific sockeye salmon. Dry brined, then brushed with oil. Sprinkled with dill, and garlic powder. On the gasser indirect, three right burners on, two under the fish off. I used just a small handful of mesquite chips for a little extra flavor. Pulled at 135 IT. To quote Jerod "off the chain!" 😎 Served with Hinode black rice, and roasted Brussels sprouts. I think I will try a wet brine next time. It's supposed to keep the albumin from expressing out of the fish. Still, this was super moist! Once again this website has saved me. I have been over cooking salmon for years without realizing it.
            Last edited by Thunder77; April 24, 2016, 06:27 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

• bbqoaf
              bbqoaf commented
              Editing a comment
              Fresh, wild, pacific salmon is one of the world's great foods. My grocery store will be getting it from BC/Alaska soon and I can't wait, I won't eat farmed Atlantic garbage at all anymore.

• richinlbrg
              richinlbrg commented
              Editing a comment
              Bumper sticker seen in Alaska,

"Friends don't let friends eat farmed fish"

bbqoaf, I agree 1000 percent. Farmed stuff has not passed my lips in years. Once you've tasted the wild pacific stuff there is no going back!!

Comment

Back on the road but I got my gear with me....

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                I wonder what your next-room-neighbors think when they smell that stuff. You probably drum up more room service or delivery business than you realize. The subliminal 'I'm hungry for some reason' kind.

• Ernest
                Ernest commented
                Editing a comment
                HAHAHA! Huskee times like these I really don't care about my neighbors' feelings.

• Craigar
                Craigar commented
                Editing a comment
                Ernest, Dude you really need to write a cookbook for the frequent traveler, along with a series of YouTube videos.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here