Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does it cause a problem your food if it gets an electric current run through it while it cooks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does it cause a problem your food if it gets an electric current run through it while it cooks?

I have this electric hot plate that I bought off Taobao. They call it a "mosquito coil" cooker and they're uncommon here, I was lucky to find one. I have a gas stove, but it uses a gas bottle so it's a pain when it runs out. I use the hot plate when I need to cook something for a long time, or when I'm out of gas (like right now). I keep forgetting to call the gas guy to come bring another bottle, so I've been using it all the time for the past week or so.

The hot plate is kind of dodgy, it only cost $4.50 and it had a label in Russian when I got it. These days it gives off electric shocks whenever I touch the pan or the pan handles, so I always use a pot holder. I could buy a new one, but I get the idea that it would be defective as well, there are only 2 sellers on Taobao that have this and it's the same model. Does it affect the food if it's being electric shocked the whole time it's cooking? I had a lot of trouble browning pork chops yesterday and maybe that was why?

My Thoughts, bein an Electrician...

While I don't rightly reckon that havin electricity passin through yer pork chops was th cause fer yer difficulty in brownin yer food, I do believe, in my heart of hearts, that ya needs to git another cooker, before that one lights yer arse up BAD, or worse! ANB$*

I ain't exactly no PhD in Physics, etc, but I can share some with ya, what I've learned that might be relevant to yer question:

A local Amish butcher, who processes th Black Angus I variously buy, or git gifted some primo beef from, uses electricity on th carcasses to relax th meat, before butcherin... me, an my bro that raises th CBA why, we ain't neither one ever heard of that before, but th results certainly speak fer themselves.

Now comes th question of microwave cookin... we're totally cool, n comfortable bombardin our food, bevs, etc., with electromagnetic radiation, long story, short...whether good, bad, or ugly, it is exceedin common. I have no opinion, yay, or nay, an use mine alla th time, fer convenience sake.

Fer $4.50, were it me, given yer resources, locale, an product availability, reckon I'd start by gittin me another same same, see how that goes.

If it still shocks ya, might most likely be a faulty ground in th circuit yer pluggin into, vs defective cooker...

I hope this might, in some small way, help ya, cause I can tell ya from personal experience: Without a doubt, th most merciful thing I've ever seen electricity do to a hominid is to kill them. There are exponentially worse scenarios, where th recipient lives.

Please, be safe, brother!

</My ¢2>

*Ain't No Bull $#¡+
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 16, 2018, 09:05 AM.

Comment

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Good advice from Ole' Doc Bones! It'd be a good idea to take heed ...

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      That is a fire waiting to happen. Either go get another bottle of gas or another cooker. By the way, once you bring more gas into the house don't turn that cooker on. Be safe Lost in China

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      What did he say? I don’t read Kansian.

I can't speak to any general rule, but when I lived in a college dorm back in the '60s you weren't supposed to cook in the room. Several guys on my floor had a gizmo like in the pic below. You jammed hot dogs between two metal skewers then turned it on. It basically ran 110V AC straight through the hot dog(s) for a few seconds and cooked them. So, obviously there is no harm in running electric current through hot dogs.

Comment

• JimLinebarger
      JimLinebarger commented
      Editing a comment
      And for dinner, just add a smidge more C-4 for it to land at the right time? Definitely an interesting delivery system. Was it the inspiration for Amazon's drone delivery system?

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL! Nah, JimLinebarger, it don't go kaboom, when ya lights it, just burns. Right where ya set it, to begin with.
      After all, C-4 ain't no Cordite pizza stone, or some such!

• JimLinebarger
      JimLinebarger commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones I don't care who you are, that's funny right thar!

Nothing like shock treatments just to cook dinner

Comment

Same people who make the Cornballer?

Comment

It won’t hurt your food. But that hot plate it a potential fire hazard. Also a potential death trap given electricity in China is 220 volts. That’s enough to zap you good.

Comment

I find this whole topic shocking... (You know someone was going to say this, so I decided to save them the embarrassment. )

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            I'll skip the Stooges for this one - wouldn't want to dilute their impact. But it does deserve the face slap!

Originally posted by Mosca View Post
          Same people who make the Cornballer?
          I was thinking the same thing, Mosca !

Click image for larger version

Name:	giphy.gif
Views:	51
Size:	956.0 KB
ID:	516969

Comment

i'm quite certain any effect from electrified food will pale in comparison to a serious electric shock to you or a fire caused by this defective hot plate.

Comment

It could be as simple as an exposed wire. Can you unplug and take a look inside. A little electrical tape might solve the problem.

BTW - 220 V is very dangerous. I wouldn't mess around with it. If it gets you, you might have to change your screen name to Fried in China - just sayin'...

Comment

Oh boy can we keep going with this one. ZZZZZZZZZZZap! Yer cooked.
                That’s how they kill bugs don’t they?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here