Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texture Sensitive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texture Sensitive

I don’t like the texture of most roast or crockpot cooks. I like steak texture pulled meats are ok, but it You slices it not so Much. so I cook meats " "roast”. I’ve got stop all most rare and the sear them and hope for the best I’ve mastered chuckies with this technique pork but roast sliced I stop the cook 145 but would rather eat it as a steaks rib have to have a good bite, fall off the bone not so much.
    Last edited by Fire Art; June 15, 2018, 08:28 PM.

Fire Art , I agree a little... the meat part doesn’t bother me as much as the mushy vegetables that were in the crockpot with the roast.... if you are home and can time it out you can prevent that but if you are cooking all day while at work it is different.

I also don’t like the texture of Mushrooms.
    Last edited by Nate; June 15, 2018, 08:33 PM.

Comment

I am like you for the most part. I like a good steak texture on my meats. Over the years of Moonbeam serving me her favorite pot roast, let's say VERY tender, I have come to like her pot roast as long as I got rice and taters. (two starch sorta guy myself). But for the most part, I like my roast sliced and not falling apart. My pork is always on the rare side of pork temps. Pains me to say, I have only probably cooked two pulled pork butts in my whole life.

Comment

• Nate
        Nate commented
        Editing a comment
        Glad to know I am not the only 2 starch person out there. I won’t turn down a helping of good mashed taters right next to some mac and cheese.

• Fire Art
        Fire Art commented
        Editing a comment
        On set type 2 diabetes has pulled me away from starchy foods. but your right,that the way I like pot roast smothered mashed tators and butter salt and pepper
        Last edited by Fire Art; June 15, 2018, 08:47 PM.

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        With my health conscious wife, I'm lucky to get one starch...

Personally, I think texture is over looked. Maybe not overlooked, just rarely mentioned. I looove it when you nail a pork shoulder, and you can literally feel every firm, yet tender muscle fiber in your mouth. This might sounds weird, but it almost feels like a perfectly soft noodle. (Maybe that sounds gross, but that is how I picture it.) That is when I know I really nailed one. Flavors are relatively easy to pile on, but texture is where you can really separate good and great BBQ. IMHO.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree on th texture difference, Brother! If I wanted mushy, with a smoke flavour, well, Hail, I coulda done that no muss, no fuss in my crockpot, with a few shakes of liquid smoke, saved my dang self a whole buncha time, an money....

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Nailed it!

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        The noodle thing. It’s an experiment I’m looking to try to use the sous to make a chicken breast into pasta like threads. Then sauce for low carb pasta type substance.

Hmmmmm, now you guys got me thinking I’m gonna have to swish meat in my jaws to check for texture that I like? What? Noodley meat? Let me get back to ya’ll on this one.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        HouseHomey ROFLMAO ^^^^^

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        HouseHomey beat me to it!

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        HouseHomey ,@Mr. Bones , EdF they call it mmm.. sophisticated! Yes, that’s the ticket.

I don't care for the texture of pulled pork or beef or chicken. I chop instead.

Comment

I LOVE shredded/pulled meats including chicken, as long as it's juicy. I also love a good crock pot chuck and a good grilled steak. I'm easy to please. It just has to be well seasoned. Don't skimp the salt. What I don't like is hard jerky bark from an unwrapped shoulder or chuck.

Comment

• Nate
          Nate commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree on the bark thing.... I don’t want to break a tooth and don’t feel my bark needs to look like a crispy meteorite.

For most all cuts of meat that are usually roasted, a well time swim in the SV bath will give you the tenderness and texture of a good steak as well as great flavor. Actually works excellent for lean deer & elk roasts also!!! I like venison very much, but prior to SV, thought there was a lot of "pot roast" cuts on an elk!

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          I have no experience with game meats but SV sounds perfect for it.

• HorseDoctor
          HorseDoctor commented
          Editing a comment
          Temp will dictate "doneness" (rare, medium, well done...). Time will dictate tenderness (texture). All quite variable, depending on what you start with and where you want to end up. Sous Vide Resources, Serious Eats, Chef Steps are a few sources of more info. I'm sure Potkettleblack can provide more and/more specific info...

• HorseDoctor
          HorseDoctor commented
          Editing a comment
          Fire Art I recently SVed an "eye of round" piece of elk at 130 F. for 12 hours, painted with "beef love", seasoned with Morton's Natures Seasoning and gave it a 2 1/2 minute sear atop a screaming hot charcoal chimney. It carved & ate like an elk tenderloin! Again, elk stew is great but tenderloin hot off the fire is a way better way to use up hind leg!

I ABSOLUTELY dislike crock pot roasts. I own 4 or 58 crock pots but they are not for roasts.

Crock pots are great but all the meat is dry and here's why. No, the sauce and juice does not make the meat less dry or juicy.

Crock pots are are designed to cook with the lid on. When you boil or simmer with the lid on, in all of that liquid and then go to work you extract the moisture (flavor) form the protein product.

"Lid on" you pull from the product and add all the flavor to the pot. That's why the texture is disappointing but the overall flavor is good.

Take that pot juice, clean up the oil and reduce, add a shot of Demi and you have good stuff.

so I agree with Spinaker Nate Fire Art above.

Crock pots are over rated for Roasts and no one gives as darn about texture when they pull into their driveway after work and can smell their dinner.
        HH
        Last edited by HouseHomey; June 16, 2018, 08:12 AM. Reason: keeping Huskee sane by cleaning up my grammar

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          And he drops the mike and exits stage left!!!!

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Steve B , yes, yes, yes! To a thunderous applause.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here