Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you reheat???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you reheat???

Hey all. My question is how do you all reheat your cooks?
    This will be the first time I’m Doing a cook a day in advance. I will be cooking PB for pulled pork, some chuckies for pulled beef and several racks of ST. Louis ribs.
    I’m thinking of pulling the pork and beef after the cambro rest. Placing each separate protein in aluminum pans and covering tightly. Placing in fridge over night.
    Now is where I’m lost.
    Shoud I heat in my oven @170*, thats the lowest setting, obviously covered for ‘how long’?
    I forgot to mention I will be bringing the food to my sisters an hour away and we won’t be eating right away.
    If I reheat at my house I would place the trays in a cooler with hot towels.
    Or do I just bring the trays to my sisters and reheat there.
    Also should I be adding some sort of liquid to keep the pulled meats moist?
    Thanks for listening to my ramble.
    All advice is much appreciated.
    Steve B.

don't pull until just before you serve. drop each separate protein in a pan, cover with saran wrap, and then aluminum foil. Heat in the oven as planned (remove the saran wrap first and replace with just the foil), and pull there. Add a little butter and apple juice to the pork if it pulls dry, and a little butter and beef broth to the beef if it pulls dry.

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks texastweeter How long do you think it will take to back up to temp?

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      depends on the hunk o meat. start early and once temp is reached, re-plastic wrap the top and add some foil. Kill the oven and let it chill in there while it is still hot/warm. will be good for quite a while. The other option is to vacseal it, and freeze it. I do this for longer storage. When time to eat, take it out and thaw in fridge, then drop it bag and all in simmering water to heat.

The only time I pull ahead is if I can put in sous vide bags for reheating. And as mentioned, an apple juice-butter mixture does wonders for pork.

Comment

Th above advice is spot-on...
      I might add, double saran wrap, then foil yer pan(s)
      Small amount of moisture is a good addition, but too much will wash yer flavours out. BTDT.
      170° oven until food safe temps; it's already cooked, so I shoot fer 160°-170°~ish, when I do as you are going to do.
      How long will be a function of what temp ya put it in th oven at...
      Hour away, if time, an facilities allow, I'd lean towards reheat on site...
      I'm hopin others more qualified will doubtless be along to provide more informed answers, so hang in there, Brother, an have a great family cookout!

Comment

Well said above. Reheat on site. Or pull into big chunks and flash it in lard. Just saying... 😀

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m not doing wings. 😎

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Steve B HouseHomey lard isn't just for wings. that technique works wonders for ribs that were pre cut and stuck in the fridge. We use only bacon grease, lard, butter, or tallow. The occasional olive oil for Italian dishes, and canola for butterballing.

If an oven will be available to you, and there is enough time, I'd reheat there. Pulling there would be ideal, but if you don't think that would not work, pull when you can and seal right away. Save the drippings so you can to add back before serving. That will help with moisture and not affect flavor. You might want to skim the grease off the top - some do and some don't.

If you have a vacuum sealer, that is an option too. Just shred, vacuum and seal when it's cool enough to handle. Then you can reheat in a pot of hot water at your sisters.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          And it will be good.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here