Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is searing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what is searing?

hey guys, so I've been doing a lot of looking around and web surfing bbq this week as I contemplate the next purchase to add to my napoleon pro prestige and my BGE (looks like either weber performer or PK360) and I see an awful lot of post/pics/videos of what is supposed to be seared meats. I've seen grillgrates, and slow n sear , etc. So to me , a sear is when you get a fully caramelized (maillard effect) over the entire surface of the meat. What i am seeing most people post is burnt in grate marks on their meat and not a true "searing" from end to end like in a high end steak house. What's up with this?

You have the proper understanding of searing. It has nothing to do with grate marks. It’s just s9metimes due to equipment, technique or for some of us laziness there are grate marks as a by product. Bottom line, it’s the end of a cook with FIRE!

Comment

• Jon Liebers
      Jon Liebers commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks , thought I was misinformed. I generally use a Cast Iron pan or Carbon steel pan and let that get blazing hot. a quick toss in there and I've got the maillard all over. Or use the gassers sear station . Can you get that result with either grillgrates or slownsear?

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      That is an affirmative on the SnS. Old Dave will sow you how on the SnS site, ABC.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Plus at least 10 on Cast Iron pan sears!!!! Nothin wrong with carbon steel, neither!
      Jon Liebers

My searing technique

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      You have the right idea about searing. I use a steakhouse rub to get that crust/crunch. Most don’t use a rub, but I love my technique.

• vandy
      vandy commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like you have that down, I have the forks but have not tried this method yet but I may have to try this tomorrow.

Jon Liebers you are exactly right. PROPER searing is all over, versus grill marks. (Ignore the fact that the AR website has Grillgrates showing a the top and side of every page!). I use my Grillgrates for burgers, chops, chicken, more as a heat shield to prevent flareups, and used them upside down last time I did burgers, to get a better crust. I do not use them for steaks. My steaks these days, I reverse sear and then move over the Slow 'N Sear on my Performer, or sous vide with my Anova, and sear on cast iron.

You will love the Performer if you go that way. Its my favorite grill of the ones I have, as the large work surface makes it a nice outdoor kitchen prep or serving area for me. I like the PK360 too, but it costs a good bit more than my Performer Deluxe. If you get the one with the propane lighter feature, you will love it. It's the only way I start charcoal now - even for my other charcoal grills.

Comment

• Jon Liebers
      Jon Liebers commented
      Editing a comment
      looks like will be the performer, love my BGE but to get two zones gets to be a pain

My sear!
    Attached Files

Comment

• kamadoRob
      kamadoRob commented
      Editing a comment
      Now that's mouthwatering!

• vandy
      vandy commented
      Editing a comment
      that is absolutely awesome!!

• Jon Liebers
      Jon Liebers commented
      Editing a comment
      man,that looks so tasty

This is an interesting video on searing with Adam Savage of Mythbusters and Kenji I came across. They test several devices and tequniques on searing.

Comment

Every time you see a photo of a steak, or hot dog, or pork chop, or anything else - think Marketing. Grill marks look great if you don't know better. So when anyone does an add with grilled meat, you will almost always see those dastardly grill marks.

Comment

Here's my searing technique:

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Very Nice, indeed!
          Ya still got yer chin whiskers, so I'd reckon yer accomplished at it!
          Bet th kiddo had a blast; how many dads let their kid play with a flamethrower?

• HorseDoctor
          HorseDoctor commented
          Editing a comment
          BTDT! Works just fine!!! Yum!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here