Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tongs - 1 set for Raw and 1 set for Cooked?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tongs? I just poke it with a stick.

Comment

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, but how and when do you clean the stick?

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      I just stick it in the dirt. Steve R.

I do the holding the tongs over the flame bit. I figure if the heat is going to kill the bad stuff in the meat, it's also going to kill the stuff on the tongs.

Comment

PBC all meat is hung. On the kettle usually burgers, steaks or an occasional pork butt. With steak and burger i use hand turn them with tongs/spatchula. bacon I use my hand then wash them.

Comment

OK I am personally going to offer to buy all you tong OCD guys one of these suits for your birthday. And just for all your good advice I'm going to rub my tongs in the dirt and re-use them on my next cook.....

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
          ComfortablyNumb commented
          Editing a comment
          A man after my own heart!

I use my hands usually.. but when i do use tongs, its when the meat is too hot for my hands.. so..
        Last edited by Keltonfoss; June 1, 2018, 11:20 AM.

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm intrigued. Tell me more about this hot raw meat.

• ComfortablyNumb
          ComfortablyNumb commented
          Editing a comment
          Attjack Several examples come to mind, but this is a family friendly site.....

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Haha.

I don't guess I have ever thought about that, I always handle raw meat with my hands with nitrile gloves on and not with tongs but I guess I should start cleaning them after I turn the meat over when it is not fully cooked.
        Last edited by vandy; June 1, 2018, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Muh tongs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180531_175909.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	508903

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            I picked up about 8 pairs of those tongs at the end of last season at the high end market near me when I noticed they were on clearance for $6. At that price I just shove them in the dishwasher.

Game 1 is underway...

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Great deal on those tongs, amigo!
            They look very well made!
            Lovin th factory hanger space on th cooker shelf, as well...

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Hahahaha

Methinks folks are worrying too much about the minuscule chance that tongs will be a significant source of cross contamination while grilling anything. Y’all are way overthinking the possible risks here!!! Even if you did "cross-contaminate" your final product with tongs that had touched the raw meat, you would still have to let the final product incubate at unsafe temps for quite a while for the bacterial population to grow to a level capable of producing a food born disease!!! Relax a bit and enjoy your cook!

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't think it's too much to ask to clean, or swap out a utensil that's handled raw meat. It's kind of like washing your hands after using the bathroom. It's just good practice.

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            Although I'm sure you're right it usually won't be an issue. Kind of like wearing a seatbelt. How often do you crash your car? But why not use it anyway?

Many, an likely all the above methods are an improvement over doin nothin...

Let me ask yall this, when ya wash yer tongs, etc., are ya then then final rinsin in 180°+water for a number of minutes?
          This was the process, and required temps by every State Health Inspector I ever showed though any of my kitchens, fer a large span of years...

Also, please don't git heavy handed with chemical sanitization; they are all intended to be used in greatly diluted form.
          We were tested for a ratio of a capful* of bleach to one gallon of hot, clean water, for utensil sterilization at our cookin an prep areas. Bleach can be harmful to ya...LINK
          *Cap offa one gal jug.

Quaternary sanitizers are very dangerous, as well, if misused...LINK

Do with yer tongs as ya will, but please, Be Safe out there, an enjoy Great Food!!!

Comment

• Bogy
            Bogy commented
            Editing a comment
            You obviously have a lot more experience than I do, but my church has a commercial dishwasher in the kitchen. We don't wash dishes on a daily basis, how often it gets used really depends on how often we have funerals. And other church events. But the gallon bottles of soap and sanitizer which feed the washer automatically last quite a while.

Unless I’m going to stir my mayo based coleslaw with the same tongs that touched raw chicken I pretty much wash them at the end of the meal with everything else.

Comment

I use Attjack 's method, using a few tongs/spatulas depending on the meat. I always start with nitrile gloves, though, just like Troutman does.

When the outside of the meat starts to look good and cooked, I stick with one utensil until I bring the food across home plate. I also use different utensils for meat and veggies on the same grill.

It may be overkill, but it gives me peace of mind. If my guests upchuck, then, it will be due to being overserved, not from the grilled food. Hahahaha.

Kathryn

Comment

i just use my hands when raw and bring in the plate or tray the raw food was on and i wash my hands before i get a new plate or tray to bring it back out on.

Comment

• jecucolo
                jecucolo commented
                Editing a comment
                Pretty much what I do

I have left the tongs behind and moved on to the Pig Tail. I love it. And it works great. The long handle keeps your hands out of the fire. You don't scrape rub or bark off while turning and it is much faster when you are cooking more than one piece of meat.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	0008857_big-green-egg-pigtail-meat-flipper-pigtail_550.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	21.4 KB ID:	509176

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                HorseDoctor commented
                Editing a comment
                Got a pair of them for Christmas a few years back. First thought was "what a screwy idea". Soon as I tried them I sure changed my mind in a hurry! Love my pigtails! Small one for kitchen/fry pan stuff (great for turning bacon slices), and the big one for outdoor cooking/smoking!

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                You know it, Doc! HorseDoctor

• Danjohnston949
                Danjohnston949 commented
                Editing a comment
                Spinaker, AMBI--WHO / WHAT❓❓ Too Many SYLLOLLIBLES FOR THIS OLDE PLOWBOY Dan

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here