Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The stall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The stall

the stall freaks me out. The stall up here is a 145 At 6200 ft. I panic every time it happens. I have in my head it should stall at 154 ish I wonder it the bad bugs die at a lower temp as well any one know

Stall temps vary with air flow, humidity, cooker temp, the meat, etc......

If you see the stall during the cook, you are watching too close.

Comment

As long as your cooker is maintaining temp, fageddaboutit. 😊

Comment

BTW- bugs start dying very slowly at 131 degrees F. Keep in mind that when your cooker temp is "X degrees" the surface of the meat will be considerably lower.

Comment

I love the stall, it seems like that is where the best bark is formed. That's why I prefer the over night cooks, I'm sleeping when it's stalling. I increase my temp at the second stall though.

Comment

• Fire Art
            Fire Art commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh my there’s a second stall how will I cope with that and when is it

• CRO
            CRO commented
            Editing a comment
            Around 180, it slows down but not as much as the first one.
            Push through it by increasing your temp to around 320.

• JeffJ
            JeffJ commented
            Editing a comment
            I've only encountered the second stall once and it freaked me out.

Mine typically stall around 160 or so, it seems. I don't remember much offhand, I haven't done a lot this winter. With my new Fireboard, I'll be able to tell alot easier in the future.

Comment

At 145° ya should be AJ-Squared Away!
            Minus 40°F fer cold foods, +140°F fer hot was Th 'Safe Temps', when I cooked fer a livin, accordin to th State Health Inspector.
            If this has changed, in th intervenin years, HouseHomey please, update me.

Comment

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              39°/40° - 140°/141° depends on how long you've been around. 😀 She loves me, she loves me not. Good enough for my inspector Bonsey. BTW don't stack your marinating.chops under your chicken. Inspector: why? Me: I was too lazy to rearrange everything today. Inspector: "Just fix it!!" Me: Ok. One of those weeks Bonsey.

This made me think of "Dr. Strangelove: or how I learned to quit worrying and love the Stall" Or something like that....

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here