Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need ideas for birthday cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need ideas for birthday cook

My birthday's coming up on Sunday, and the wife wants me to cook something on the PBC to celebrate. Not really sure what direction to go in. Could do something I've done well before, like tri-tip. Could make a new attempt at something I've crashed and burned with before, like ribs or pork belly. Could also try something brand new. One day it be a dream to try a packer brisket from Costco, but I'm nervous about spending over $50 on a piece of good meat I could easily screw up. I could live with spending $30 or so. I'd like to do something special that I wouldn't or couldn't every day, but I'm stumped. Most of you have been at this for a while; what was something you tried to master early that's become a staple for you now? Thanks for indulging my rant.

Smoke a chuck roast to pulled and make Philly cheese steak subs with sauté green peppers, mushrooms and onions.

Comment

• VideoWolf88
      VideoWolf88 commented
      Editing a comment
      That could be a contender. Got a cheesesteak for lunch last week and the wife was quite jealous.

Picanha. Sausages. Filet. Bacon Wrapped Chicken. Pretend you're at a Brazilian Steakhouse.

Comment

you are gonna have to have a FIRST brisket sometime, might as well be on a day where everyone will be nice to you still if you screw it up lol. I'm sure you will do just fine

Comment

Viewin yer OP list, I'd say: Start with summat approachable, low-pressure, like mebbe th ribs, first.
        Sound too scary/ too much pressure? Fair enough...no worries.
        Do pork butt(s), or chuckies(s), both extremely easy/forgivin, an makes memorable food.

Lotsa info here, an www-wide.
        Better yet, folks're here, virtually 24/7/365, to assist in any way we can.
        While ribs are smokin, run some burgers/brats, etc, through yer CBIR unit, to keep th tummy rumbles at bay.
        Yer "One Day" fer brisket is closin fast, an I've no doubt ya will nail it, but I'd stick to safe, given th Time Crunch at present.

In case I ain't hereabouts, then, Happy Birthday, an Great Cook!

Comment

Give duck a try (it's awesome with MMD rub):

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0104.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	481634

Comment

• VideoWolf88
            VideoWolf88 commented
            Editing a comment
            Oooooh, I think I saw one of my local butchers is running a duck breast special.

• sorensen_j
            sorensen_j commented
            Editing a comment
            I like your pit probe technique! Way better than mine of wrapping it around the rebar a few times!

Ya might give some type of seafood a try. Salmon, shrimp and scallops come to mind as easy cooks.

Comment

• VideoWolf88
            VideoWolf88 commented
            Editing a comment
            RonB, I'm doing salmon tomorrow or Friday night. My local fishmonger is a dealer for this type of salmon called Verlasso. It's Chilean farm-raised, but I spent a few years gorging on salmon in Seattle, and this stuff is almost as good as the wild sockeye and king I used to get and it's half the price. 30 minutes on the PBC with a couple Alderwood planks and it's a home run.

Never seen a brisket that was "screwed up" to where it wasn't at least pretty durn good. For sure some better than others but never inedible! Go for it!!!

Comment

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            I know, right! Some are just more suited for chili meat than others.

Go for the gold! Attempt a brisket. If I can make one on my old electric smoker that won an informal neighborhood cookoff against a neighbor with a pellet smoker then it can’t be THAT hard! Just follow the directions on the public side of this page. That’s what I did.

Comment

With a PBC i’d go for beef ribs. That thing is basically designed for ribs or poultry.

The duck sounds like a good suggestion too.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the ideas and the encouragement. Think I've decided this is not the best weekend to try a brisket. Not a confidence thing; you guys helped a lot with that. It's just too much money and food for just me and the wife. I'll save it for another occasion when we have family and friends over. The final choice is down to spare ribs, chuck roast, scallops, and duck breast. The wife says she'd be happy with any of those four. Gonna hit up Costco and two of my butchers today and make a decision tomorrow. I'll post pics on Sunday as the cook goes along. Thanks again for all the help. This membership will be the best non-adoption related money I'll spend this year.

Comment

Get a cheap pre cooked ham. All you are doing is heating it up and laying some smoke to it. Maybe find a glaze recipe that sounds good to you. Some scalloped potato's on the side and you are a hero!!

Comment

• VideoWolf88
                  VideoWolf88 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think you just gave me my Mother's Day menu!

Any of your choices will taste great on the PBC, VideoWolf88 . Have you smoked chicken on the PBC yet? It's amazing.

If/when you choose to smoke a couple of chuck roasts, take a look at this topic first. It will get you started in the right direction.

Last week I just happened upon these two beauties while shopping at Costco. These are Angus Chuck Roasts that together weigh in at a little under 5 lbs. I brought

Happy Birthday!

Kathryn

Comment

• VideoWolf88
                  VideoWolf88 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hi Kathryn,

I haven't done chicken on my PBC yet, but I did smoke the Thanksgiving turkey a few months ago. My wife is a Thanksgiving expert, and she decreed that the turkey always needs to be done on the PBC from now on.

Adam

Yeah, turkey on the PBC really rocks, VideoWolf88 . I usually make two turkeys, one on the PBC and the other conventionally in the oven for the traditionalists. Every year I convert a couple more traditionalists. Most folks want the PBC bird.

If you want to see how to make a delicious (at least my family thinks so) PBC chicken in about an hour, I wrote it up over on this topic:

Kathryn

Comment

If it was my birthday I would throw some ribs in the pbc. Then I would get some ribeyes and grill those bad boys up. Hey if you have leftovers you could always do stuffed jalapeños with creams cheese and rib meat cubed up. I understand about the brisket I was the same way and then I finally just bit the bullet and smoked one. I recently did a chuck roast and I like that better and it’s cheaper. Whatever it is enjoy your day!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here