Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would this approach to salting work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would this approach to salting work?

Hi folks, appreciate some advice ->

Say I want to save some time... I get a few racks of fresh baby backs clean them, trim them, salt them, then vac pack and freeze on the day.

Then when I need to call a rack or two off my stock it's just a matter of pulling them out of the freezer to defrost them and I assume brining them as the ribs thaw?

It's just rub and then into the smoker......

Any food safety issues, or problems? Ultimately will they brine, or is this a bad idea.

It’s an interesting question, I don’t have enough knowledge to know if salt would react with frozen protein. Moisture is what causes salt in solution to penetrate, moisture frozen would seem to halt that process. I would have to opine that it’s probably a good way to go.

Comment

Me thinks I have seen someone do something similar.

Comment

I suggest brining and sealing, but don't freeze for 12 to 24 hours to give the salt time to work. That's what I do and it works for me.

Comment

Either way should work fine. Ribs are thin enough that there should be ample time for the salt to work during the freezing and thawing periods. It would be an easy comparison if someone really cared enough to try it?

Comment

This works fine. Sometimes I will add salt and rub to racks of ribs, vac-seal them, then freeze. Then, when I want to cook them, I simply pull them out of the freezer and throw them on the smoker. No need to defrost or anything. You actually get an insane smoke ring from doing it this way. Or at least I do.
            It works for pork shoulders too!

Comment

Thanks all I will definitely try this now, many thanks for taking the time to reply.

Comment

I have done the same as Spinaker with no problems.

Comment

Should be fine. I would use a little less salt though for no reason at all. I have not really made a practice of this.

With salt things require a lower temp to freeze but im not sure that applies here. I would imaging the smoke ring would be awesome.

carry on fine sir.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here