Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where Did You Eat Lunch Today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the woods: Grilled ratatouille and a fried egg.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cQRaP6cgps7kI94cfHTe8JV15S04pZYiD40GgbJES9MU1Tjmpb3BDe_ubbkGFKc2yyO8vfKUWdQPS1OFwIMLqxG6M5CUWyHV8SL6KajEbpWTx9tUWhIy5uXBATU-H7QaDt3BsLMBqhwuMsIy4zylX9X5ktfEdBbZG1oiSBMc2hAqrvIvk8tibfOBO35W_S1KvAXgR_0l7H53xk1lVMNNSsRYy1cQEao-e5fNSkgC4_xZ2f-uVK9BB59mglBpwmp
Views:	163
Size:	216.0 KB
ID:	712319

Click image for larger version  Name:	GorPKkv6kqoEC14VCCeg7GE1Mri0rtj5JRnN0FZ64Aw60gcyDIQiPgmV-gdJgz2QDYT4xMoH5JCxc-_elCKmSA5JbbTM3oSqfYGtxq_Phvtt4ksWXTzKc8veA3Fldt9fydS_ktnly1SKt3_PEYz9C_xuTF9MMNLI_IRoPRcZbSujF4GanzUw3_syHLG-5Swrh3Ua-lLXZlTDq8T8IxHgP8cE_PYIICDi1UNOK8RgrR2eBvpv98QIQgMf4vpxIwa Views:	2 Size:	322.3 KB ID:	712303
    Last edited by Attjack; July 12, 2019, 02:23 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice rack

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman Elk backstrap is on the menu tonight.

No pics, but Waffle House omlet with scattered and smothered hash browns.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      LIKE for Waffle House. Spent many a drunken hangover in one. Nothing like a good shot of grease to cure what ails ya.

Katz’s deli...pastrami on rye
    Visiting NYC for the first time and my first stop was Katz’s Deli, sandwich was amazing!

Name:	773EC72B-F967-42A6-937E-7A2C36CCF3A9.jpeg
Views:	204
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	718891

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      WOW, jealous for sure. Only thing better would be to sit at the Harry Met Sally table !

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Amazing. Wish I had known about Katz's the last time I was in NYC. I have been to the Carnegie Deli though - forced the wife to go share a sandwich with me there during a visit a few years back. Those places pile on the pastrami!

I had a salad in my office. Forgot the chicken for it. Made up for that by watching the rainwater pour down the wall in the back of the room.

Comment

Home,,take the dog for a squirt,,,micro a Kayem’s natural casing all beef hot dog in a bun with a half sour pickle,red onion, Gulden’s brown and a Poland spring bottle of agua
      Back to work in 30 mins
      not what you call a good business lunch

Comment

Left over American Wagyu brisket from last weekend's cook with some melted Havarti cheese and pickles....

Name:	sandwich.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	719792

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          That stuff would easily make me fat. Havarti is excellent on smoked beef!

• treesmacker
          treesmacker commented
          Editing a comment
          Love havarti - gotta be good on that!

Another bump to one of my favorite threads...

The wife and I today tried a place we hadn’t been to before in Durham called Alpaca Peruvian Charcoal Chicken. There are a half dozen of them in the area, we hit the one on 9th St downtown. Their specialty is "Peruvian "Pollo a la Brasa’ style Rotisserie Chicken, marinated and slow cooked over natural wood charcoal in an imported rotisserie oven”. The olfactory hues outside the joint were drool-worthy, and when they opened at 11am people weren’t wasting time. Lots of take out business happening.

These were stacked up in the in the front window.

Name:	7C303CC4-C425-4113-AA25-0B411BE416AE.jpeg
Views:	232
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	730709

My wife got the Friday special which is jerk chicken served with rice & black beans and maduros (fried sweet plantains).

Name:	4BC42A70-7078-4F55-8B42-4FF4D41EA16A.jpeg
Views:	200
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	730711

I got the 1/4 dark with cole slaw and tostones (fried green plantains).

Name:	AC7FF058-AE32-4383-A4A5-7C3EF77C709B.jpeg
Views:	194
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	730710

Overall the chicken was very good, but the sides were nothing special. Very similar to another nearby place called Mi Peru. Not as good as Tropical Pickin’ Chicken in Wake Forest. Wife’s assessment: I’d rather make rice at home and have you do chicken on the PBC. 😂

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow, great lookin’ grub!! Reminds me of a Cuban place I eat at often.

Boring me in my garden!

Comment

I only have complaints about my lunch today! Went to a nicer new place, been there a few times pretty good. Got a pork tenderloin sandwich. It was one of those that was pounded out paper thin, still only the size of the bun. I am not a fan of that style. Tasted like fish, yes they had fried fish also. Chips with it, hard tomatoes, etc. Got iced tea with it, got a refill, they charged for the refill full price, 2.75. Was $21 with tax and tip. What a disappointment. I am going back and just getting water the next couple times to get my value back.

Comment

At the Waterfront in Edisto, SC. Had "low country stir fry with chicken". So good.

Name:	6B1EAFA9-168C-4FEF-884A-2321C3982827.jpeg
Views:	211
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	747519

Grilled shrimp or chicken, smoked sausage, onions, and peppers. Sauteed with spicy cabbage and served over red rice.

Comment

Dang it, I knew I forgot to do something today. ​​​​​​. No seriously I was doing stuff and never got a chance to eat.

Comment

17th Street in Murphysboro, Il. (The original) 1st time that I made it to the home restaurant. I have been to the Marion, IL. Location several times. I had a Rueben, potato salad, and a 17th street Amber ale. Very good with the sandwich! Click image for larger version

Name:	598B70A8-AADE-416B-BF8D-0454FF634138.jpeg
Views:	180
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	747526

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
                  Dadof3Illinois commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I love a good Rueben sandwich....That marble bread looks awesome.

• Oakgrovebacon
                  Oakgrovebacon commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Menu described house cured pastrami-it was very good! My wife ordered bbq nachos. You get a much larger serving at the Marion Illinois location.

• tmelosi
                  tmelosi commented
                  Editing a comment
                  hmmm, drive by Marion every once in a while, might have to stop for lunch on the next trip.

Cured about a 4# select brisket point that I got at my local grocery for about 12 days (over 3" in thickness) and turned it into corned beef. Then did my usual 72 hour QVQ treatment seasoned with a classic pastrami rub. Decided to dedicate it entirely to my lunch sandwiches. Here's the pastrami after the final smoking.....

Name:	pastrami 9-19 04.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	750677

and here's today's Reuben made with pastrami and swiss on dark rye waiting for it's kraut blanket of goodness......

Name:	IMG_2692.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	750678

Comment

• FishTalesNC
                  FishTalesNC commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This is killing me Troutman. I absolutely LOVE pastrami, and if I'm making Ruebens its always with pastrami, and on pumpernickel if I have it. I haven't made pastrami myself yet, but have done corned beef so I'm part of the way there. Been thinking about now that we're back from vacation. When you say "classic pastrami rub", are you using MH's recipe? or buying it somewhere? Thanks... my stomach is growling and my mouth is drooling!!

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yea you can go with Meatheads. I also include celery seed in mine. Be sure to source good coriander seeds, that's what makes that rub pastrami rub !!

• smokin fool
                  smokin fool commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ….sigh....

Might be getting a Nashville Hot sandwich (sans bun) at the local bar after workout. (If I earn it)

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yea do some reps for me will ya

Time to *bump* this thread again!

Had lunch today at a place very close by called Zweli's, they believe they are the only Zimbabwean restaurant in the country. Like all new restaurants popping up in Durham it features locally grown & organic food (e.g. - not cheap). This is the 2nd time we've been, and it really is delicious. I had Piri Piri grilled chicken wings and a side of chakalaka. I just love the interesting flavors here, not like anything else I've ever had. The chakalaka was slightly smokey, and slightly sweet which went nice with the spicy piri piri. My wife had it as a side with her Piri Piri chicken skewers, which had chicken breast chunks, onions, squash and zuchini. Good stuff, we'll be back.

Name:	image.png
Views:	229
Size:	913.0 KB
ID:	792577

Comment

• FishTalesNC
                  FishTalesNC commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nah Troutman I mean... not as spicy as "real" jerk chicken I've had at Caribbean places, and a bit more earthy flavors I can't identify. First few bites don't taste spicy, and 5 min later its building, by the end your lips are stinging. Very unique to me, I wonder if holehogg might know whats in it?

• holehogg
                  holehogg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Peri Peri chicken comes in many differnt flavour profiles in SA especially the franchised outlets. The influence is of Portuguese origin. In PE we have / had a Portuguese guy Fernando that makes the most delicious Peri Peri chicken and he uses the fat from the chicken as part of his sauce. It is the most outstanding sauce and he sells it in bottles from his joint ( fills any kind of bottle he finds with the stuff) but won't share the ingredients. He actually passed away about 2 or 3 years back.

• holehogg
                  holehogg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I hear the place has never been the same since. Suppose she doesnt have the same passion and or he never shared the recipe with her either.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here