Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Panhandle Inshore Slam! Redfish on Half Shell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panhandle Inshore Slam! Redfish on Half Shell

I set out today in search of a redfish so I could try this redfish on the half shell that Troutman speaks of.....

First catch was a nice seatrout but not the coveted dinner so back he went for another day. Next catch was a nice flounder, now I’m questioning the wisdom of todays quest......but back he went for another day. Why keep today what you can catch tomorrow......
    Next I sighted a redfish on a sand bar and went to work. Anchored the kayak quietly, hooked up a live shrimp (thoughts of ceviche flashed through my head......) and lightly tossed the shrimp far enough from panhandle piranhas but close enough to my prized red. A couple of bumps and the sleigh ride was on! Un hook the anchor and work the red away from structure and over to the beach! A 26” redfish was the prize! Now, time for a cold one and a little research on redfish on the half shell. Suggestions from the Pit?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	5B301A02-BC1B-481E-86D7-3D7A76383D15.jpeg
Views:	229
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	477015Click image for larger version

Name:	1C17322A-022C-49C1-B12E-D9490B5277C4.jpeg
Views:	213
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	477016

Sounds like a ton o' fun - without the cook. And it can only get better.

Comment

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      It definately got better, bottle o wine, moist redfish on the half shell, green beans, sourdough.....thx Ron

Click image for larger version

Name:	3995CE82-204C-489F-9F88-AD49D30258F2.jpeg
Views:	168
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	477085 It’s on! Decided on olive oil, Paul's Blackened redfish seasoning, touch of garlic powder....DW weighed in heavy on the Paul’s seasoning so the rest is history!

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Paul's rocks. Fed hundreds with it!!

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      Paul almost decimated the redfish fishery....

Looks fantastic man! I do mine with a bit of EVOO on the skin side, dab of EVOO, lemons, garlic, parsley on the flesh side. I turn it over around 6-8 minutes for another few onto a bed of sliced grilling lemons to finish. DELISH! I can't find time to enjoy catching my own snappers although that would be a dream come true. But I do get them straight off the boat.

Comment

• lonnie mac
      lonnie mac commented
      Editing a comment
      I need to get me a boat brother!

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      being on the water, in the water or under water makes me feel at home, hope ya get yer boat brother!

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Add some dill to the mix and I'm right there with you Lonnie !!

Nice show and post buddy!! But... does that kayak have a motor? Power steering? Reverse?

Comment

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      Dude, it’s a Hobie!
      Got this stealth foot drive so I can sneak up on em’! There is a reverse option but it was $600 more, got a pellet smoker with that cash!

Yep! Looks fishy to me!

Comment

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      It was super moist and not fishy....somthin’ to this half shell....

Love kayak fishing up here in Illinois. I paddle a Jackson big tuna...it’s a beast to haul at 14’ and 100 lbs but I love the big live well, especially when it’s full of crappie or brim.

That grilled Red Fish looks like heaven!!

Comment

Love the fresh fish!!! Didn't know a kayak could have all that. I was just funin. Wow!

Comment

ok I keep hearing and reading about redfish. Are they good eating? Similar tasting to any other fish?

Comment

I loves me some redfish! Very underrated. It's a fairly "mild" fish. Nothing not to like about it and they are plentiful in the Gulf. For my money, though, if you can get ahold of some sheepshead, they are some of the best bang for your buck. Blackened seasoning is great with either of these.

Comment

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            Sheepshead also have a great looking set of teeth as an added bonus!

• smokenoob
            smokenoob commented
            Editing a comment
            they do have freaky teeth, I more worry about the choppers on spanish mackeral....razors!

• Mudkat
            Mudkat commented
            Editing a comment
            I just made some creole seasoning last night. I'm going to try it on Salmon tonight. Hot searing in carbon steel pan.

Nice Catch, sounds delicious too.

Comment

Noob, I just bought a Hobie yak. How did you like it? Is that the Outback model? I got the new Outback with the 180 drive. I took it it fishing last weekend and it did pretty well in windy conditions. I didnt fair as well fishing as you though.

Comment

• smokenoob
              smokenoob commented
              Editing a comment
              I’ve had various Hobie kayaks for fishing and sight seeing since 2001, they are a great way to get on the water

What a beautiful day and fishing trip. I was right there with ya!

Comment

• smokenoob
              smokenoob commented
              Editing a comment
              Glad to have ya along. It started out as just a sight seeing kayak ride in the bayou. I fished the day before in a boat and caught nada. So this was a zen ride.....until I reminded myself of the golden rule of boating: never go in a boat without a fishing rod. So i grabbed s rod, pliers, and shrimp. When I caught the trout I realized I forgot the net....and the measure stick..lol

• Mudkat
              Mudkat commented
              Editing a comment
              And as it turned out you didn't need either! Good stuff!

I keep hitting the 400 character limit....

Comment

• Mudkat
              Mudkat commented
              Editing a comment
              Try posting long comments instead. Don't think there's a character limit or at least it's much larger.

Wow turned in early last night so missed this thread. Nice work smokenoob how did they turn out for you? I love them cooked that way, it's the best !!! Now, about this catch and release stuff, man if you go to the trouble.....oh well you're a good stewart of the seas !! Also, its sacrilege here in Texas to fish with anything other than.....

....but hey I'll cut you Florida boys some slack .... since you at least stalk them with that Hobie !!!! Hope you enjoyed the half shell !!

Comment

• smokenoob
              smokenoob commented
              Editing a comment
              yes, have those to! Seems I have one of everything! My wife says they catch more fisherman than fish! Red on half shell was very moist and tastey!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here