Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Easter cook - Chicken and Chops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easter cook - Chicken and Chops

Warning: This will be a pure bragging post.

This wasn't a fancy meal, and most of you have cooked for a larger number of people. For me, this is the first time I've run two cookers at once...on a deadline...two different meats...15 people total...what could go wrong?

Four chickens in the PBC. Each about 5 lbs. Cut into halves for the cook (to be cut into quarters after the cook). Dry brined last night with a store-bought rub and left uncovered in the fridge to dry the skin. Followed fzxdoc 's suggestions for cooking chicken in the PBC, including hanging a package of mild Italian sausage for the extra flavoring...and because sausage in the smoker can't be wrong...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2810.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	476093

A few minutes later, started pork chops in the cheap propane smoker. These came from a Sam's Club pork loin. Cut into chops about 1.5 inches thick. It made 15 good chops and 2 small ends. They were also dry-brined last night using two different store-bought rubs, then sealed in tupperware in the fridge. Set the smoker to stay about 225 F. Full water pan, one chunk of cherry.

Name:	IMG_2809.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	476094

After 30 minutes, I traded places with the top and bottom racks in case there was a heat shadow.

At about the same time, I cracked the lid on the PBC. It's temp was around 270 F, even with the smaller bars instead of the rebar. (I use a clevis to crack the lid, it fits well over the barrel and raises the lid just enough. When not in use, the clevis fits over the handle with no problem.) Today, this raised and then held the temp at about 350 F.

Name:	IMG_2811.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	476095

Chicken was ready in 1 hr 10 minutes. Pork chops were ready in 1 hr 30 minutes. Into foil pans which went into coolers to hold for about 45 minutes. Then everyone to the table:

Name:	IMG_2812.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	476097

Name:	IMG_2813.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	476096

All turned out well. Moist chops, crisp and juicy chicken. The chops were everyone's first pick, and the chicken was the usual PBC perfection. You can see a couple store-bought sauces on the table. They weren't touched, the meat didn't need them.

I failed to get a picture of all the desserts that were just around the corner. They were prettier than the meats.

Again, my thanks to all of you who pass on information here. I learn something here every day, whether it's from a post or in the comments. I wouldn't have gotten much past dry burgers and hot dogs without all the stuff I've picked up here.

Very nice meal!

Comment

I absolutely LOVE big cooks. There is just something surreal when you are standing there delirious from exhaustion (and possibly the 5th of whisky), watching everyone try first and then smile because you pulled it off with perfection. Congrats, but be careful, it is addictive!

Comment

• Brian_M
        Brian_M commented
        Editing a comment
        it is, and I'm hooked already. Did a couple big cooks last summer, but they were one-cooker cooks. Two smokers at once was kind of challenging and definitely rewarding.

WOW. You guys are making me feel like an amateur. Which I am.
      It’s great to see how many folks are such great cooks.
      Makes me proud to be a part of this family.

Comment

What a feast!

Comment

Great cook.

Comment

If I had six thumbs right now....they would all be pointing up !!!!

Comment

Home Run!!

Comment

Got any leftovers? Great lookin' cook!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here