Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brining

Anybody ever brine with Dr. Pepper? Thinking about smoking some turkey legs and heard about a Dr Pepper brine. Any thoughts would be great......

Why not, I've brined chicken in Coca Cola and Sprite. Not together of course, lol. What would you mix in with the Dr. Pepper?

Comment

Doesn’t brining include salt? I would think soaking in Dr Pepper would be marinating.

Comment

• Nate
        Nate commented
        Editing a comment
        +1

Like DW, how much salt is in Dr. Pepper?

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Not enough.

I’d soak in Dr. Pepper for the last hour. Brine overnight.

Comment

This is what I wanted to know, salt, no salt, what to add to the Dr Pepper. Like FireMans idea, maybe a little longer with the Dr. Pepper. I'll give something a shot, might come up with some new recipe or not....

Comment

Dalmatian brine?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180311-075527.png
Views:	139
Size:	571.2 KB
ID:	476199

But in all seriousness, you're likely much better off injecting if you want that flavor. Dr Pepper is mostly sugar with lesser amounts of flavorings, and large sugar molecules do not penetrate far, they're a surface treatment. Methinks it's much more fluff than substance to marinade in pop/soda.

Comment

One thing to keep in mind is that you can get Dr. Pepper made with cane sugar versus HFCS, if that makes a difference.

My preference is for marinades and sauces to be vinegary and spicy versus sweet, so no experience if there would be a difference in a cook.

Comment

A friend's Dad used to grill Dr. Pepper chicken, and it was good stuff. If memory serves correct, he only soaked it for a couple of hours, and added a few other ingredients.

Comment

Replace Dr. Pepper with apple cider or apple juice and you will have better results. 1 cup salt to 1 gallon of liquid. I use a brine mix from Oak Ridge BBQ. Don't have to mix all the individual ingredients it's all in the mix.

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Funny you mention it, I just ordered and used Oak Ridge BBQ Secret Weapon on some chicken this weekend. As always I tried a little on a spoon prior to applying it to the meat and it was like taking a spoon full of sugar, extremely sweet. It did, however, make a pretty nice glaze and helped the skin brown up. With that and apple juice though, you better make a dental appointment !!

One marinade we've used numerous times (which I'm thinking of doing a post on) is the Filipino Inasal marinade. It uses healthy (?) amounts of soy sauce (there's your salt) and 7 UP or Sprite (I guess for sugar and taste). You do get a distinct flavor profile off it, not sure of the science or lack there of behind it. All I know is it's real popular in the Philippines and quite tasty.
              Last edited by Troutman; April 2, 2018, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here