Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hard cooking eggs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard cooking eggs.

Just so everyone knows before I launch - I am a charter member of this web site. I visit it frequently and recommend it incessantly.

Meathead is always interested in dispelling cooking myths, so I thought I would take care of one he seems to have missed.

There is a method of hard cooking eggs that has been 100% successful for me, and it isn't the one listed on this site. In addition, the picture on the "colorful pickled eggs" recipe shows eggs that were cooked incorrectly (yolks with green edges).
    The "myth" is that if your boiled eggs don't peel easily, it is likely that the eggs are too fresh. I would never recommend using old eggs, and it isn't age but rather method that determines how easy they are to peel. In addition, if you overcook them, you risk a reaction between the sulphur and the iron in the eggs, which will turn the edges of the yolks green. To see this reaction, check the picture of the eggs in the recipe mentioned above.

The method that ensures easy peeling while avoiding green yolks is as follows:

Before cooking, poke a small hole in the large end of the eggs with a bulletin board push pin. This will allow the air in the eggs to escape when you cook them, preventing cracked shells.
    Then lower the eggs into a pan containing enough boiling water to cover the eggs by an inch or two. Return to a gentle boil and cook for ten minutes. Boiling gently will keep the whites from getting rubbery, and the ten minute cooking time will give you set yolks without the green edges.
    Drain the eggs and rinse them in cold water until they are completely cooled.
    You can then shake the pan to crack the shells or you can tap them one at a time on a hard surface to peel.

Click image for larger version  Name:	uzZKs08cSIWplbZ8ZhC3xA.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.27 MB ID:	475861

I have yet to encounter an egg that was difficult to peel using this method, and I have done a bunch.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DxoWQJwZR%yfWuDCnVVe2g.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.55 MB ID:	475862Click image for larger version  Name:	QRDNbubWTROiXtXLYN6E3w.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.53 MB ID:	475863
    Last edited by philneel; April 1, 2018, 02:17 PM.

Photoshop!!! Seriously, thanks for sharing, when I saw the thread title I thought of you and Mr. Pepin.

Comment

No retouching! Pics taken just as they are.

After you use the method you will be a believer. The subject interests me because I struggled with tight shells for years before I found this method. No one needs to fight them! And I know I already posted this. But I saw the green yolk pic so I decided to go at it again.

Comment

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice HB eggs! What altitude are you at?

• philneel
        philneel commented
        Editing a comment
        800 feet.

Thanks for the boiled egg tutoring. Great pics also.

Comment

Great tip. Love deviled eggs too!

Comment

J. Kenji Lopez-Alt has a different take on the problem... https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/...iled-eggs.html

Comment

• philneel
            philneel commented
            Editing a comment
            Not really different. The main thing is start hot.

• HorseDoctor
            HorseDoctor commented
            Editing a comment
            I didn't get the impression he much favored the pinhole idea, but whatever works for ya.

• philneel
            philneel commented
            Editing a comment
            If you don't put a hole in the eggs, the expanding air caused by the large delta T will cause some them to crack or burst, but whatever works for ya.
            The ones that stay intact will be easy to peel after cooking, which is the main point I was making before a few people picked some nits. If you begin the cooking in cold water, most of the eggs, regardless of age, will not peel easily.

Mrs Mosca would say that those yolks need a couple more minutes. I do mine for 12. No green edge.

Comment

• philneel
            philneel commented
            Editing a comment
            Personal preference. Whoever cooked the eggs in the recipe picture did it wrong. I like them just set.

Best eggs I ever cooked comes out of my Instant pot. The thing has changed how we do eggs. Fall out of the shell and are perfect every single time.

Comment

• lemayp
            lemayp commented
            Editing a comment
            Thats the only way my wife will eat them now. Between eggs, oatmeal, and rice that thing is always in use.

• lonnie mac
            lonnie mac commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep! Same here. put the old rice cooker in the trash. The eggs are mind blowing how good they come out no matter if you cook 2 or 20. Same time same way. Perfect!

• philneel
            philneel commented
            Editing a comment
            I use a saucepan.

I use Kenji's method of steaming them. As mentioned earlier, the key is to start the cold eggs in a hot environment. I steam for 14 minutes and then into an ice bath. Peel wonderfully 99% of the time. And the yolk is a perfect yellow with no green. Also consistently cooked throughout the yolk.

Comment

Looks great, philneel. Personally I now use the instant pot.

These Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs are ready in just 10 minutes and come out perfectly every time. Ideal for making deviled eggs, egg salad, and more.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Perfect-Instant-Pot-Eggs-1-2.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	476441

Click image for larger version

Name:	Perfect-Instant-Pot-Soft-Boiled-Eggs-1.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	341.0 KB
ID:	476442

Comment

• philneel
              philneel commented
              Editing a comment
              That's pretty nice. A mini pressure cooker! But I spent my instant pot money on a new CyberQ.

• lonnie mac
              lonnie mac commented
              Editing a comment
              You will change the way you cook a lot of things with the Instant Pot.

A pressure cooker if some sort is a must and the new ones like the IP are a great option.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here