Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Timing half a brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing half a brisket

So I ordered a small brisket by mail (about 8-10 pounds) expectingbit to just be a smaller sized brisket. Instead I got a full brisket cut in half lengthwise. My question is this: if I’m serving it tomorrow evening for dinner (7pm) when should I put it in the smoker?

Ordinarily, I’d give it 20-24 hours at 225 (without wrapping). According to the “What affects cooking time article, halving the thickness would quarter the cooking time, but I’m somewhat hesitant to just assume 5-6 hours and pop it in at noon.

So, advice? Start it over night at 200 and crank it up in the morning? Start it at 7am at 225? Something entirely different? Any help would be much appreciated!

Start it at 7 am and when the IT reaches around 175/180 wrap it til finish. Then put it cambro for a couple of hours.

Comment

Who cuts a brisket length ways?? Same idiot that recommends boiling ribs my guess.
      Last edited by Ahumadora; March 30, 2018, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Question? The brisket cut In half lengthwise. Was the width was cut in half? Or was the f thickness cut in half? If the width was cut in half it would seem that nothing much changes in regard to cook time. But, If the thickness was cut in half that would make a significant change in cook time. If the latter is the case you could guess at the cook time or perhaps you could tie both pieces together to form one full brisket and use the typical cook time.

Comment

• julianyap
          julianyap commented
          Editing a comment
          It got cut in half lengthwise, and I was only sent one half

Well I’m thinking it will only take half the time.

Comment

Got a pic of it?

Comment

Take less than 1/2. I would say around 7 hours. have cooned several split briskets.

Comment

I think it will probably take a bit more than half - while cutting lengthwise doesn't reduce the "thickness" of the meat - you've got half the point and half the flat, still likely 3.5-5" thick - it will allow a slight bit more heat into the center from the cut side, which would normally still be buried 6" or more deep. Heat is working inward from all sides at the same time. I dunno, it's hard for me to describe what I'm envisioning, here, but I just think it's probably going to cook a bit quicker than normal, certainly wouldn't expect 20+ hours on it. I honestly doubt it will take 10. Just hard to say, though.

I initially thought this would be one screwy way to cut a brisket, but I guess doing it this way, you make sure you get both point and flat in both cut halves.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here