Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket to big for smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket to big for smoker

If the brisket is to big for smoker can it be trim with out harming it.I have Weber smokey mountain 22 inch also could the trimed end be used for burnt tips

I'm making an assumption that you have a full packer brisket and that's why it won't fit in your smoker. You can certainly remove the point and cut the flat into 2 pieces, effectively giving you 3 hunks o meat. This will give you more surface area and a slightly reduced cooking time. Keep an eye on those flats though because they will cook faster. Have that faux cambro ready and be ready to pull the flats out first.

Comment

If it is to big just separate the point from the flat.

Comment

If the problem is that it is too long, you can certainly trim off the end of the flat. However, it is usually a bit too lean for burnt ends and will dry out. The reason the point is used for burnt ends is that it normally has much more marbling and that helps it stay moist. I'd cook the cut off if you have the room. It will probably cook faster, so keep an eye on it, and there is a good chance that it will be a bit dry, but is should still taste good, or you can chop it and add it to chili or something else.
        Last edited by RonB; March 29, 2018, 06:38 AM.

Comment

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          I trim off the flat end off so the point side fits exactly and smoke-Sv-smoke (QVQ) the flat side. Stays juicy that way. We

I usually then straight smoke the point side.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Like Polarbear777 I cut my flats and treat them separately, makes excellent pastrami QSVQ.

How big is this brisket? I have a WSM 22 as well and have cooked my fair share of full packers on it without a size issue.

Comment

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          A 12 lb will probably fit. The 20lbs ones I’ve been getting need to go in the 26” if I don’t trim.

If you can "mash" it inwards to where it doesn't touch the sides, it will shrink as it cooks.

Comment

I think the responses you've gotten so far are thinking only short-term. I think you now have a great excuse to get a new smoker!

Comment

I think you would have to have a REALLY big brisket to not fit on the WSM 22" as you can use the full 22" width of the grate on that. I had a 16.5# brisket that I opted to cook on the offset rather than 22" Performer + SNS, as the width of the flat and having to have it off center on the grate due to the SNS was gonna be tight. If I had been able to center it on the grate like on a WSM I would have been fine.

Comment

I have "mashed it in" as stated above, I have also put a stainless bowl upside down on the top track and laid the brisket on top of that until it shrunk enough to lay flat. both work well.

Comment

Glad you have solved your problem now post some pics.

Comment

Get a bigger smoker would be my approach! Waiting on those brisket pics!

Comment

On an 18 WSM, I would separate the point and flat. Cook the flat on the lower shelf since it has a lower temp. Put the thicker point on the top shelf where it is hotter. Using this approach, point and flat usually finished within 30-45 min of each other. I was wrapping when temp hit about 170-175.

Comment

• Polarbear777
                      Polarbear777 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I’ve done this split also in the PK360. It does work well.

20 lb’er on the 26” kettle. Click image for larger version

Name:	6025C981-0E41-470B-B4E2-A6147DAACB23.jpeg
Views:	132
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	474541

Split it to fit similar size on the pk360.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	36FB162D-858F-46FA-8FCE-A58823FEB4FA.jpeg
Views:	116
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	474542

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here