Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How far above coals for best sear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How far above coals for best sear?

hi all,

looking to sear some expensive wagyu ribeyes and don’t want to mess it up. I have the ability to have my grates anywhere from 2-20 inches above coals. I’m liking to put a cast iron skillet on the grated to sear and then finish off indirect. Can the cast iron pan be too close to the coals?

I sometimes put my cast iron in the coals

Comment

You can absolutely use a cast iron pan over the fire, with no problem. Just don't leave it in the fire. If you get the pan too close to the fire, for an extended period of time, it will remove the seasoning and cause rusting. (Almost certainly flash rusting) If you are just searing a steak, no problem. But 20-30 mins over a HOT bed of coals, then you can be pushing your seasoning to the max. But you can always just hit it with more oil and it will be fine.

Honestly, If you can move that grate up and down, I would sear that baby over an open flame.

Comment

The closer the better. Post some pics of that wagyu ribeye.

Comment

Agree with Spinaker on the open flame, 2 to 6 inches away, and flipped at least once per minute if not more.

Comment

Ended up searing them directly over flame in cast iron for 90 seconds on each side and then finished over indirect heat. All in came out pretty good but I overlooked them slightly on the indirect side. Thanks for the answers.
            Attached Files

Comment

Nice, very nice! Were those dry-aged? They kind of look it.

Comment

• Sfdrew28
                Sfdrew28 commented
                Editing a comment
                yes...sixty days. The butcher has about five different whole ribeyes tagged. I got the oldest one.

• ComfortablyNumb
                ComfortablyNumb commented
                Editing a comment
                That is one plus of the Bay Area, it's like Alice's Restaurant.

• Sfdrew28
                Sfdrew28 commented
                Editing a comment
                I have yet to eat there but I've only lived here for 18 years. I should go.

Looks great!

Comment

Great looking steaks!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here