Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You are your own worst critic...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've read that our sense of taste is closely linked with our sense of smell - that's why the first bite of food tastes better than the final bite. Smelling our low and slow cooked meat all day dulls our sensitivity to the finished taste of the meat. That's why we don't feel the same nirvana as those we share with. Let somebody else cook the meat the same way we do, and it will taste much better. No need to over-analyze our methods.

Having said all that, I do the same - always looking to improve. Tasting the leftovers the next day reveals a lot - it was better than I first thought.

Comment

Follow up note on a successful and recreateable (is that a word) cook: Fresh, home-ground chuck, sous vide with a pinch of salt and pepper. So good and most friends say it's the best burger they've eaten.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        I've yet to motivate myself to try burgers SV, but I'm going to keep your assessment in mind. Thanks!

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        EdF, by all means give it a try, it even impressed a couple of picky little kids. I'm going to sous vide some lamb burgers this evening.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh yeah, lamb-burgers! CaptainMike

Wow. I feel like the odd man out here. I'm a "glass half full" kind of guy, and I find things to enjoy on every cook. I truly enjoy the really good cooks where i sit back with a mouth full of something succulent, juice running down my chin, eyes half shut, savoring every chew of the product. Cracks my wife up! I learn something from every cook, but I make it a point to savor every one of them in one way or another.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here