Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Tri Tip-now looking for more

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Tri Tip-now looking for more

After looking for Tri Tip for months or years and finding a choice Angus one at Sam’s club a week ago, I dry brined with kosher salt overnight in the fridge. Added some black pepper and sealed in a vacuum seal bag. Froze for a few days because I did not know when I would get to cook it. After studying methods in the pit for a few days, I decided sous vide then sear would be a good try. I set up the Anova in a large electric deep fryer kettle that had never been used. It holds about 4 gallons of water and big enough for large cuts of meat. Double walls give it some insulation. Ran at 131deg for 10 hours. Took out of water bath, dried and seared over charcoal, my wife is more of a medium well type meat eater, so I took it to 140 IT. (Compromised to keep all happy) I would have stopped at 135 if eating alone. Click image for larger version

Name:	E3ACC849-A417-4EC9-943A-2779F3B9B2AF.jpeg
Views:	107
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	469490
    I did not get any more pics of sliced meat, but I will definitely be looking to buy more of these. I now understand why this cut gets lots of attention!
    Attached Files

Ridiculous beef flavor galore.

Comment

I have a couple of Tri-Tips in the freezer that I need to cook when I get back in.

Comment

Oakgrovebacon you have discovered a very fun "New Cut" for us Mid-Westerners. (I made the leap 2 yrs ago). Have fun feeding your Family and Friends some Tri Tip.

Comment

• Oakgrovebacon
          Oakgrovebacon commented
          Editing a comment
          Leftover slices seared in cast iron for supper this evening, very good also!

Lookin' good.

Comment

Just cooked one today also (on what did you...). Interesting that I ordered 3 from Creekstone Farms about 6 weeks ago & now my wife tells me they are now in the local stupor market. I am happy with the quality from Creekstone.

Comment

Haaaa I told you so. As I just cooked my first tri tip last week.
            I think there may be a revolution for this incredible cut of beef.
            We in the north and north east are just beginning to reap the benefits of what so many in the south and south west have been enjoying for years.
            It’s about time.
            Dang I’m hungry now. 😋

Comment

I want one! I want one! I have started seeing them at Wegman's here so I'm getting closer to having one. Looks good!

Comment

I just ordered a Black Angus one on sale at Crowd Cow. Also picked up a rump cap (Picahana) steak, THAT may be the hot new steak on here !!

Comment

Hehehe. We here on the left coast hoard this cut. We tried to keep it a secret but have failed miserably.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here