Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High [meat] score!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High [meat] score!

I have started making acquaintances in the food wholesale business. Very rewarding, I must say. Today I restocked my fridge/freezer with a whole lot of goodies. Most of it is Canadian beef labelled "Heritage Angus". All cuts are Prime quality, as opposed to Choice or Select.

I'm a big fan of cooking large cuts of beef, so I was real happy to lay my hands on a full top sirloin beef, weighing in at 5.7 kilos (12.6 lbs). I also bought a real nice brisket, flap, flank and some Iberico pork. See photos below.

Sirloin beef, fat side up. Check out the size of this one

Click image for larger version  Name:	Sirloin1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	192.9 KB ID:	468844

Sirloin beef, meat side up

Click image for larger version  Name:	Sirloin2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	222.2 KB ID:	468846

Sirloin beef, cut in half to see marbling

Click image for larger version  Name:	Sirloin3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	236.0 KB ID:	468847

Flank and flap, 2 kilos each (4.4 lbs each)

Click image for larger version  Name:	FlapFlank.jpg Views:	1 Size:	240.9 KB ID:	468845

Full packer Brisket, 6 kilos (13.2 lbs)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Brisket.jpg Views:	1 Size:	189.9 KB ID:	468843

Iberico pig, bellota quality, pork tenderloin (bottom) and pork chops

Click image for larger version  Name:	Iberico.jpg Views:	1 Size:	215.0 KB ID:	468848

It feels like I struck gold! Some of these cuts are labelled "Chef's selection", meaning they are only sold to restaurants. Can't wait to try these. This should keep me busy for the next few weeks. I'll report back on the cooks.
    Last edited by Henrik; March 18, 2018, 01:56 PM.

I'm droolin over here, brother!
    What fantastic lookin beef!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      It sure is! All I have to say is: Thank you, Canada!

That is some serious marbling for sirloin.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      It is. Love your new avatar!

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Ditto, that is serious.

Man o’ Man does that look good!

Comment

Hey Henrik Being that I live a lot closer to Canada than you, about 5hrs by car to be exact. Do you think you could hook me up with these guys.
      Shipping should be a whole lot cheaper.

Some beautiful looking meat you got there. 👍😋

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! As I understand it, 'heritage angus' is a collection of family owned farms trying to raise the bar for quality beef, in this case Angus cattle. So far I'm very impressed.

Lookin' forward to your reports Henrik.

Comment

few weeks? you been hybernating?

Comment

Gonna be some great pics coming!

Comment

Fire it up Henrik!!!!

Comment

I'd be thinking about dry-aging that chunk of sirloin for 35+ days.

Comment

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm real keen on dry aging too, but it's gonna have to be the next one.

Impressive stuff!

Comment

Looks awesome and should keep you busy for a while. I was finally able to begin purchasing through a local food service company a few years ago. They carry absolutely everything. I buy things by the case. I usually don't start purchasing from them until spring when I have event cooks booked and I use cuts by the case.
                It does open up a whole new world as you are finding out.

Comment

Wow. I am from Canada, and would only see something like that rarely, maybe at a specialty butcher.

Comment

• Barry Friesen
                    Barry Friesen commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Agreed, I will have to look into these guys...

I've never had Iberico pork. Is it all it's cracked up to be?

Comment

• Henrik
                    Henrik commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yep, it really is. I'm a big fan of pork in general, and this is in a class of its own.

Jealous on the Iberico. The jamons are amazing, so I suspect the uncured meat would be great as well. Makes me want to throw together that Chefsteps Romesco.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here