Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pastrami in the AM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pastrami in the AM

Making my first pastrami tomorrow, already got thru the prelims and tomorrow into the smoker!
    My question. With a prime brisket, separated , point and flat brined in accordance with recommendations from AR,
    what should my final temp be for slicing for sandwiches? Seems like normal temps for brisket a bit high? 203 seems high. Temps are all over the map on the net. Thinking in the 175-185 range.
    What say you?
    Either way rubens will be made some time tomorrow!

I usually take mine off at about 180-185 F. That is usually when I have enough bark built up on the surface.

That will be epic. You will love it!

Comment

Thanks so much for the help!!
      dave

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        No problem, Dave! We look forward to seeing the results!

• overeasy
        overeasy commented
        Editing a comment
        Well after a two hour rain delay the meat went into the smoker at 5:45 and came out just under 7 hrs later at 185. Point was spectacular, flat is waiting for me in the fridge till tomorrow.
        Thinking i'm going to re-up, find a navel and do it again. I've never used a navel cut before but I think more fat would throughout would mean a more consistent bite as well. And maybe a higher YUM FACTOR!

How did u calculate the amount of water needed to how many poinds of meat you brined in regards to prague powder#1..meatheads recipe called for 1 gallon water to 4lbs meat...i have 12 pounds of meat to i have to brine in 3 gallons of water? And then triple his amount of prague powder? Or cani get away with a gallon or 2 of water?

Comment

You can go to the tested recipe section and under "science of curing meat" there is a conversion table that automatically does the calculations.

Comment

That's right Joe. I used a prime brisket from Costco. Separated the point from flat also as recommended by Meathead. Then I butterflied the thick part of the point to try to even up the overall thickness of both pieces. Thickest part around 2 in. Net weight was 11.5lbs.
          I used a brining bucket with a plastic adjustable plate to make sure the meat would stay submerged.
          1 gallon would not have been enough so I made the recipe for 2 gallons. Under optional ingredients I used the sugar and half the amount of pickling spice. It turned out great and I liked the point much better than the flat so if I do it again I will use a beef navel instead because it is a fattier cut. Don't care for the name much though. Maybe I'll just call it beef belly instead.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Mmmnm, "Belly Button Pastrami"!

• overeasy
            overeasy commented
            Editing a comment
            Think they git all the lint outta there?

Here's a photo of the two pieces. point looks like a bowling pin while they are supposed to be forming a pellicle in the fridge.
          Think mine were lazy cause i didn't see much of a change. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2511.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	465264
          So the rub coriander, black pepper, and New Mexico chili powder for color

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here