Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the-dirty-secret-of-"secret-family-recipes"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The dirty secret of "Secret Family Recipes"

I really enjoyed reading this. I do bbq chicken thighs that knock everyone’s socks off, and they all want to know the recipe. Years ago I got it off the side of a salad dressing bottle.

The Dirty Secret Of "Secret Family Recipes"

So cool!

Comment

That was a fun read! Thanks for sharing it with the pit!

Comment

I don't think we have any of those lurking in my family, but you never know. The tollhouse cookie recipe we openly use.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Lol, the recipe from the bag is awesome! I raved to a friend about her cookies once and she told me it was the one from the bag.

Funny. Thanks Mosca . Sometimes it's hard to improve on these recipes off boxes and jars.

Comment

Best pecan pie I ever made/had, recipe came off the Karo Syrup bottle!

Comment

A month or so ago I was longing for my mother's pecan pie - she died 25 + years ago. I knew it was no great secret, but I did not have it. I knew my brother and his wife had my mother's recipe box, so I called and talked to my SIL to see if I could get it. She said just get a bottle of Karo syrup - it's printed on the side. The recipe called for either dark or lite syrup, so I picked dark - should have picked lite. It was still good, but not "right".

Now I'm gonna have to make another pie...

Comment

• gcdmd
              gcdmd commented
              Editing a comment
              During my short course in culinary school (after retirement) I was tasked to make the pecan pie recipe in our text book. It called for lite Karo, but the school kitchen, chronically short on ingredients, only had about half the amount I needed and no dark Karo. I made up the difference with dark molasses, and the result was great-I got an "A."

My Dad cooked by taste, so when boiling shrimp he mixed up his favorite ingredients and tasted the water before adding the shrimp. It was never written down even in an approximation form, so when he died the recipe was lost. Then I found a version in an old Betty Crocker Cookbook which according to my memory was spot on.

Comment

Do you share you share your BBQ Chicken recipe?

Comment

• Mosca
                Mosca commented
                Editing a comment
                Mix 2 parts bottled BBQ sauce with 1 part bottled Italian salad dressing. Marinate the boneless skinless thighs for anywhere from 5 minutes to 4 hours. Grill over medium heat until chicken is cooked through.

The marinade doesn't burn, it loses its moisture about the same time the chicken is done.
                Last edited by Mosca; March 6, 2018, 02:09 PM.

• gcdmd
                gcdmd commented
                Editing a comment
                Mosca Do you flip the thighs or cook on one side with the cover on the grill to bake them? Do you have any particular favorite BBQ sauce and salad dressing?

• Mosca
                Mosca commented
                Editing a comment
                I grill them like burgers, constant flipping and tending, lid down some and lid up some. 375-400 lid down is about right. I take them off when the edges start to crisp up. The original recipe was Wishbone Italian dressing and Kraft, I think. After many years, the salad dressing doesn’t matter, and the best bbq sauce is Dinosaur, readily available in the northeast.

Great article. To be honest, it does not surprise me that much. LOL.

I love the marshmallow recipe on the side of the jar!!!! LOL.

Comment

Thanks for sharing. I do something very similar.

Comment

I knew that Bobby Flay recipe sounded familiar.

Comment

I liked this article. I have a "secret" buffalo wing sauce recipe that my wife and kids rave about, and I'm using it on grilled wings rather than fried these days. Everyone tells me to open a wing restaurant when they try it. The secret recipe? I found it on a USENET newsgroup back in 1992, prior to the advent of the web in any meaningful way. The recipe CLAIMED to be the one from the Anchor Bar in Buffalo NY. Who knows - I just know its good and I've made it so many times since 1992 I don't need to look it up on the tattered 8.5x11 printout tucked into the back of my wife's old cookbook anymore.

Comment

• jfmorris
                      jfmorris commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Actually it’s not! Haha. The one on the Feank’s Bottle is pretty much butter and hot sauce. Mine has 10 or so ingredients.

• gcdmd
                      gcdmd commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The story goes that Teressa Bellissimo, owner of the Anchor Bar threw the original batch of Buffalo wings together as an improvisation to feed her son and some of his friends late one night. The wings were scraps at the time.

• JCGrill
                      JCGrill commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Usenet. There's a term that will take you back. The kids I work with have no idea what that is.

That was fantastic! I have a secret specific pork butt rub that I found on this site if anyone is interested.

Comment

Yup, I have a couple of those types of recipes. People rave about them. But I won't tell which ones they are....

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here