Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salts, what do I do with them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salts, what do I do with them?

Seems a popular gift for me this year was salt. I now have these staring at me with no idea when to use them. Do you cook with them, apply them at the table, serve with tequila and a lime?

Smoke the salt, then apply at the table. It takes a few hours, but it's worth it. Only for flaked sea salt though.

Comment

• lemayp
      lemayp commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, hadn't thought about enhancing them. Adding smoke and a little chili pepper heat to a few could be fun.

• KenC52
      KenC52 commented
      Editing a comment
      I also smoke kosher salt and use it for everything.

• MeatMonster
      MeatMonster commented
      Editing a comment
      Henrik Great idea!

All you mentioned, and more. Use in rubs, cures, at the table, and with tequila. Try this:

Salt and tequila.
    Rub salt and pepper on meat and put in smoker or grill.
    Salt and tequila.
    Remove meat from grill, serve with vegetables and salt.
    Salt and tequila.
    Eat meat and vegetables.
    Salt and tequila.

Comment

• lemayp
      lemayp commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm going to need more tequila...

You will get better answers if you tell us what king of salt you have been gifted.

Comment

• lemayp
      lemayp commented
      Editing a comment
      Several samplers from spice labs, the one in front has cyprus black flake, fleur de sel, hawaiian red alaea, and applewood smoked.

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      I too got quite a few "salts" this year. Prefer to do my own seasoning/mixing so some of them made their way to a salt lick for the deer in the "back 40".

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      I think the applewood smoked should be good on pork or chicken.

I don’t see a picture but generally those fancy flavored flake salts are "finishing" salts. Toss a pinch or so on top of a salad or steak or fish right before service. Or on anything out of the fryer.

They are probably too fancy for mixing into recipes where their nuances may get lost. Your choice of course.

Comment

You seem to be speaking as though you posted a picture but I don't see one. I usually have a few flavored salts on the stove that I throw in with whatever I'm cooking. The size of the grain may dictate certain things are out, in my opinion.

Comment

Sorry, I’m not a fan of flavor salt.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
          HorseDoctor commented
          Editing a comment
          Me too!!!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here