Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Snake River Farms Full Packer Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snake River Farms Full Packer Brisket

Ok Ladies and Gentlemen. I am about to embark on my very first full packer brisket cook. I purchased the SRF brisket a week or so ago when there was a sale. This thing is _BIG_. We have a work picnic/BBQ scheduled for this Friday. It has been thawing in the Fridge since this weekend. The plan is fairly plain and simple... dry brine, then pepper, then smoke, then eat. The good news is that If I can time this right, my drive into work will be whilst this bad boy 'rests' in the faux cambro. I have done flats before, but never the whole shebang. I plan on cooking on my pellet pooper as many of you desire to call it, at 220-230. Once the fat is thawed enough to trim off, I'll have a good weight and know the specifics of my plan. It is at that time that I will also try to remember to take pictures. Unfortunately, I tend to forget that part... but I will wrap a rubber band around my wrist to help remind me. I'm all ears for any pointers y'all might have.

I am sure you will do fine. Have patience and let the smoker and brisket do their thing. That is the important part. SRF's cook quicker than others, because of their fat content, so you may get a bit more time in the cambro, which is a great thing.

We look forward to your pictures. Let that baby bark up! Those SRF briskets are impressive indeed.

Comment

You got this! Don’t forget the pics.

Comment

Looking forward to seeing it and learning how it goes. Going to try my first brisket soon too so looking forward to learning from you all as you experiment and cook.

Comment

Due to the coldish weather, we have been put off another week. I am going to dry brine tomorrow, then Saturday night (probably) get this thing going so I have lunch/dinner for Sunday. It stinks that the date got changed, but it means more brisket for me =).

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup! Also: you get a practice cook under your belt. Not bad at all.

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            What Henrik said.

Kathryn

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh yeah!! A couple loafs of bread and your golden!!

What grade is it? I look forward to some pics too!

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4419.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.09 MB ID:	466100Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4426.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.37 MB ID:	466101Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4424.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.88 MB ID:	466103Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4427.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.39 MB ID:	466102Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4429.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.62 MB ID:	466099

So... this happened. I dry brined with salt for about 15 hours and threw some Malbec Ground Pepper on the surface before smoking. Set the temp to 225F and let it cook. I did have some issues with the smoker during the cook. My Fireboard reported that the grate temp continued to raise until it was about 326F. I rushed out and turned the smoker to 205 and let it continue.

Take aways... continuing to spritz every hour or so _really_ built that smoke ring. The flat did get a bit dry. I mixed up equal parts A-1 Thick-n-Hearty and Sweet Baby Ray's, just enough to provide some flavor. Worked well. The point was OMG Delicious! Juicy, soft, and flavorful. Cooked to 165F then wrapped and continued until a bit over 200F. Total cook about 7.5 hours. Would definitely do again. I might consider wrapping the Flat (or injecting) earlier and adding some moisture. I'm not sure how to wrap 2/3s of something, but I am always up for the adventure.

Comment

Wow what a pretty smoke ring.

Too bad about the flat being a bit dry, especially at SRF brisket prices, but live and learn. I bet the brisket was really tasty.

When I do prime briskets, they're usually probe tender between 190° and 195°. Perhaps that SRF choice briskie cooks up like a garden variety prime one.

Kathryn

Comment

• shush
                shush commented
                Editing a comment
                I feel I probably went a bit too long (should have stopped in the 195F range) and the smoker going bonkers may have been part of the issue. I have sent a note to RecTec about the scenario. We'll see what they say.

It’s still a great looking brisket you have there.

Comment

I'd eat that!

Comment

I'm with HouseHomey on this one.

Comment

Nice looking brisket good job! I just did a Creek Stone Farms brisket flat this past weekend. I've never done just a flat before I've only done full packers.

It was probably 1 1/2" thick overall but I was a little worried about it drying out so I dropped the temp to average around 225 from my normal 250 to 270. I also never wrap but I pan at about 170 and put some moisture in the pan usually dark beer with it. I don't cover just leave it open and finish it to around 200 or so. Turns out moist and juicy!

Comment

Good effort! Great thing about Q is you get to tinker and tweak your approach! Great pics too!

Comment

Nice work.

You can always peerage the point form the flat, and then allow them to cook separately. Then you can wrap or remove them independently.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here