Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help - Beef Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help - Beef Ribs

Hi I set up egg to cook at 225 to smoke some short ribs. The Recipe says it will take 8-10 hours. The ribs were 3 sections of two ribs each. I was done in 5 hours. I hit 200 and pulled them. I didn't have a stall and I never wrapped. The egg did bounce up and down from 220 -250 but mostly on the low side. I had trouble controlling temp until I added a water pan.

They are resting now wrapped in a cooler. What did I do wrong?

I dry brined overnight
    Used salt and pepper rub

mopped once with apple cider vinegar

I normally take my beef ribs to 210 for better tenderness. Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

You didn't allow the ribs to read the recipe.

Remember we are not dealing with widgets. Factors such as humidity can also greatly influence cook times.

Comment

Thanks. It just threw me off because I was timing it for 8 hours. I guess it is an imprecise science. I also did spare robs. They are fall off the bone done (overdone?). I snuck a taste of those and they are amazing.

Comment

What does the ribs look like, and more importantly: how did they taste? I don’t see anything wrong. Various ribs take different times to finish, as Jerod says there are many factors.

Comment

looks like we had the same thing in mind today. i also use a salt brine last night and put my shot ribs on at 8:30 this morning. didn't want to wait all day so i started at 275 (smokin brothers pellet smoker). after about 2.5 to 3 hours temperature was rising fast (185) and i turned down to 250 for about another hour and a half. took them off about 200 degrees and served without holding. although we missed church today the ribs were heavenly. i had two sections of three ribs each and put a rope of deer bratwurst with the ribs for the last 45 to one hour of smoking. dont know if the cold brawts affected cook time or not. brushed vinegar based sauce on ribs once toward end of cook. I suspect if i would have smoked at 225 i would have also come in before the recommended 8 to 10 hours just as you did.

Comment

200* may be a bit low for short ribs. Beef generally needs a higher temp than pork to reach tender when smoking. But since every hunk o' meat is different, you need to check for tenderness with a probe, (an instant read thermometer works great). It should go in with almost no resistance - like a knife in warm butter.
              Last edited by RonB; March 4, 2018, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Old Glory Welcome! If the shortribs eat good, then you cooked just fine!!! If they were still in 3 or 4 rib chunks they would have taken a bit longer. Lots of variation in how thick the meat layer is over them also. Holding for a few hours in the faux cambro is a good thing! Having to wait because you underestimated cook time is NOT any fun. Sounds like you done good! Enjoy!

Comment

That doesn't sound bad at all to me. Ribs vary quite a bit from what I've seen from one to the next. I usually pull mine at 205 though. Those last several degrees can take a long time sometimes so maybe that played a part in the timing. I definitely had fantastic ribs ready near the 5 1/2 hour mark.

Comment

They've been holding for a few hours now I will take pics when we serve them. The pork spare ribs were fall off the bone and my little snack tasted incredible. Thanks for the feedback. I still have so much to Lean. If practice tastes this good count me in!

Comment

I think I was overly ambitious cooking Beef Short Ribs and two racks of spareribs at the same time on a Large Egg. The Beef cooked so fast I was afraid I would overcook it. The short ribs shot right up to to 190 in 4 hours. When they hit 200 I pulled them. I freaked because I expected them to take way longer. Especially with the pork ribs in there with them.

Beef Ribs - Slightly dry and chewy but very tasty. My wife loved them. Needed to cook longer. Whipped up a vinegar sauce to dip .

I cooked the pork ribs in a rack. Started to look done in only a couple of hours. Wrapped them in foil after about 2.5 hours. Cooked about 1.5 hours in foil. They broke apart when taking out of the foil. Cooked another 45 minutes to bark them up. Pulled them and wrapped them in foil and threw in cooler for a few hours because everything finished early.

Pork Ribs - Again tasted great. Plenty of smoke. Meat was fall off the bone. End ribs were pretty charred and dried out.

I really had trouble controlling temp. It would creep up to 250 then I would close it down a little and it would get down to 220.

Next time I will only do one type of meat to work on specific technique.

Comment

I don't have an egg cooker but the 220 - 250 range sounds fine to me. Try not to chase your temps too much, let the cooker settle. Starting out with a water pan 2/3 full with hot tap water helps my WSM keep steady temps on low and slow cooks.

Comment

I did beef spare ribs yesterday. 230 for 2.5 hrs then 1.5 hours wrapped at 240. They were done, tender and tasty. I’m not sure 10 hours is a good guideline.

Comment

Here's another example of folks getting too hung up on time and temperature. Yes they are important but they are a guideline. Conditions and hunks of meat vary and have to be taken into consideration. When I visited the Lockhart bbq joints a couple of weeks ago I talked with the general manager of Kruez's who I happened to catch in the pit room. I asked about temperature and what not. Of course they cook the same thing over and over again so all he said was fast and hot (they needed to put out product) and done when the meat says its done. They didn't have one thermometer in the place that I saw. They usually know by look and feel. Quite honestly that's pretty much the way I cooked long before we had custom cookers and meat thermometers and all that fancy stuff. Not knocking it, just saying relying on some pre-set recipe may not and does not work in every case.

He now steps down off his soap box. Carry on.......

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here