Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to cook, last minute?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to cook, last minute?

So you get up on a beautiful day, have your first cup of coffee and think, you want some BBQ today! You didn’t plan for it, so pork butt and brisket are out of the question. Could do ribs.... but what else? I figure no more than about 6 hrs on the smoker.

Pulled beef (chuck roast) is one of my favorites. 6 hour cook usually at 250*

Comment

• SierraBBQGuy
      SierraBBQGuy commented
      Editing a comment
      Good idea, a small one? Seems I’ve taken longer, but they were v big.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Probably have to foil it if you want to get it done in six hours

I don’t remember the size, but I’ve always wrapped and added broth. I believe they’ve gotten done in that time. You could always increase the temp to 300 especially after it’s wrapped.

Comment

Beef ribs, either back or chuck. Crutch them. Other options are smoked chicken, or salmon. All kinds of appetizers (moink balls, different pepper recipes, wings, excetra) Don't forget country style ribs (actually a chop). Grilled lamb lollipops are always a winner. Roast beef. Chipotle and smoked egg salad.

Comment

• SierraBBQGuy
        SierraBBQGuy commented
        Editing a comment
        I think we do Chicken 2-3 times a week.. my freezer if full of back bones from spatchcocking...lol Country Ribs...hummm...good idea. Smoked or grilled?

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Salmon, good choice !!!!

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        @Sierra BBQGuy Smoked, braised, then grilled! Smoke them for a bet to get the smoke penetration, braise them to break them down into super tender hot meat popsickles, then grill them at the end to get a touch of char and a bit of caramelization!

I see a lot of the guys on TV, doing much higher temps in competition. Myron Mixon said he is doing 325°. Maybe a small pork shoulder, at 300 would work?

Comment

I’ve also seen a guy do a butt at 350 in 4 hours and the bone fell out with ease.

Comment

Smoke meatloaf is pretty dang good...just saying.

Comment

• Pirate Scott
            Pirate Scott commented
            Editing a comment
            Recently did a Meatloaf it was Delicious Easy Cook

• SierraBBQGuy
            SierraBBQGuy commented
            Editing a comment
            Never smoked a meatloaf, it’s on my list to do. I recall Alton Brown doing a show on that!

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            Malcom Reed has a great recipe that I used as a base to build mine off of.

Flanken ribs!!! Just made them for the first time last week. Unbelievably good. Easy. Just need time to marinate.

http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2011/...hort-ribs.htm

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Franken Ribs, Franken Ribs, what the heck is..........Oh, never mind.

country style ribs. chickens. jalapeno poppers. sausages (one of my fav). pork loin. fatty. metaloaf. turkey breast. pork belly burnt ends

Comment

• bardsleyque
            bardsleyque commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree with sausage!! wrap an onion in foil with evoo butter salt and pepper(cut the onion in half) let it cook at least an hour.I'll also throw garlic in there too.

Pork loin makes a quick fix...

Comment

• SierraBBQGuy
            SierraBBQGuy commented
            Editing a comment
            Man, I wish I could find good pork loin around here, the grocery store stuff is so lean, it just has no flavor. If I could only make it taste like shoulder..
            Last edited by SierraBBQGuy; February 23, 2018, 12:47 PM.

• Nate
            Nate commented
            Editing a comment
            SierraBBQGuy it is a lean cut in fact parts of it are leaner than chicken breast. You can inject it if you like and put your favorite BBQ rub on it. I smoke them whole and occasionally will sauce them at the end. Then I just slice thick slices and toss them on a cheap bun with a little bbq sauce and it makes a good sammie...

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            Pork loin is best cooked hot and fast.IMO

Brisket!

Comment

Too late for today, but smoked stuffed peppers are great.

Comment

A nice brined and smoked turkey breast with sides always goes well around here. Smoked tri tip or flank steak and then reversed seared that end up as fajitas are always good. Smoked and seared pork steaks. All of these can be done in a couple hours or less. Turkey breast would take the longest.

Comment

Ham is always a good choice since all you are doing is reheating and adding smoking.

Turkey legs (or thighs) are a fun change of pace. Or you could just do a whole breast.

Pork Loin is one of my favorite things to smoke... around 3 hour cook.

DW mentioned meatloaf and that is a definite winner.

Obviously chicken.

Don't forget pork Steak!

BBQ pork chops are a hit...

Pork Tenderloin is great as well... more hot and fast but put a rub on it and then sauce it towards the end.... yum or cut medallions, wrap in bacon rub the flat sides and then sauce at the end....

Comment

Last minute for me would be tri-tip.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here