Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which way up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which way up?

When smoking a whole chicken or turkey, is it better to stand the bird up vertically or lay it down on its back on the grill grate? Or does it matter at all?

Bill

I always spatchock and lay them breast side up.

Comment

Ditto on the spatchcock on my kettle or I just hang it in my barrel.

Comment

I usually do spatchcock or piece it out. I'll assume you know what spatchcocking is, but if not it's cutting out the backbone of the bird and splaying it out flat. Cooks more evenly that way, you get better seasoning area and your smokey flavor will penetrate much better.

That being said, I also do rotisserie whole chickens and occasionally stand up a whole chicken on a vertical wire rack (dare I say beer can chicken without the useless beer and beer can !!).

So many ways, too little time. Try it several ways and discover for yourself!!!

Comment

I've done many more turkey breasts than I have whole chickens. I'm not a dark meat person so I usually stick to breasts and or wings. Turkey breasts I always lay bone side down on the smoker. I need to start doing some whole chickens this summer and I asked myself the same question about the best way to orient the whole bird.
          Something makes me think that standing it up on a beer can holder without the beer and can as Troutman says.
          Spatchcocked is also on my list of things to do.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            So are you or aren’t you a "breast" man

• Frozen Smoke
            Frozen Smoke commented
            Editing a comment
            Troutman there is a old saying that I shall not repeat here but the answer is yes!

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            I'd just go straight to spatchcocking the chickens and put the inside down. It's foolproof!

I used to lay a chicken on it's back for smoking. Now I spatchcock them. It cooks more evenly and quickly. Both ways come out great though.

Comment

FYI I did a Whole Turkey Breast for Thanksgiving and it rolled over from the indirect side to the direct side😂. It was an Involuntary Intermediate Sear Cook🤣

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Iisc......lolz

Spatchcock is the only way that I will do chicken anymore.

Comment

Thanks, guys, for all your comments. Yes, I do know what spatchcocking is & have done it many times. I've always thought that was the way to go but just wanted to hear comments from others. Spatchcocking wins hands down.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here