Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Competition half chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Competition half chicken

I am new to the competition world and have been charged by my team to perfect our chicken recipe. The last two competitions we did require half chickens. I will say that it has been hard to find much info on competition half chickens since most everything is geared toward KCBS. I am trying to come up with the best method for getting a really juicy chicken. It seems that the general consensus is to brine the chicken, but I am wondering if I should also allow it to sit in a faux cambro for about 30 minutes after cooking. If I should, would I need to do it before saucing and then add sauce and finish right before turn in? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Welcome to the PIT!
    I would say no to the cambro. Would think you would lose your crispy skin. Experimentation sounds like the thing to do. Good luck and keep us informed.

Comment

Half's cook pretty much the same as thighs, x2 on no cambro, suggest looking at the rule book on pre brine, or pre prep. it may not be allowed. Are you cooking low and slow or hot and fast?

Comment

• WestDawg
        WestDawg commented
        Editing a comment
        I have been cooking hot and fast, about 325 to 165 internal.

Personally I don’t Cambro turn in 1/2s. I do brine as long as possible. I like Oakridge game changer. I trust my butcher for rubs if you know what that means. I try and time my cook to come offthe smoker right into the box.
      Last edited by Jon Solberg; February 13, 2018, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Dry brine and use a PBC!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	687790BC-5993-4019-A9F0-2733D0A25E0A.jpeg
Views:	275
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	454737

This is photo is last Saturday chicken in Monroe, LA. Made final table #14, I think, out of 38 teams.

Brined for 8 hours, I did inject the breast. Sauce is cooked on. You really don’t have to worry about skin with Texas rules.

Comment

• CandySueQ
            CandySueQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Wet, wasn't it?

• WestDawg
            WestDawg commented
            Editing a comment
            Very. And our first competition was below 30 and windy.

• randy56
            randy56 commented
            Editing a comment
            I just signed up to cook the Nashville one, will try and find you and introduce myself,

Here is a picture of our turn in. I did a brinerade for about 10 hours and injected. We did not make the top 20, so don't know where we really ended up. It did not help that I cooked this bird different from any other I have ever cooked, so I am not even sure how it tasted. Will be doing a lot more practice between now and next comp.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6162.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	454750

Comment

• CandySueQ
            CandySueQ commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm going back to KCBS mode! Next three are Ridgeland, MS, Nashville, TN and Hammond, LA. Guarantee I'll be the only red van and cooker there! Come by and say Howdy.

• WestDawg
            WestDawg commented
            Editing a comment
            I remember your van!

• CandySueQ
            CandySueQ commented
            Editing a comment
            I brought home a bunch of Monroe Mud and leaf bits! Saturday is cleanup day.

Both CandySueQ and WestDawg chicken entries look great! What kind of cookers do you use when on the road? The plus side for you WestDawg is that chicken is cheap. Buy lots and practice until your family gets sick of eating it...

I would love to get into competition, but I'm too busy cooking for myself and family already. Maybe after I get the kids all married off and out of the house I'll have time to travel...

Comment

• CandySueQ
            CandySueQ commented
            Editing a comment
            I cooked on the Yoder Cimarron. Chicken did spend some time toasting on the Grill Grates right above the firepot. My next event is Ridgeland, MS 3/2-3!

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            CandySueQ Do you ever come to the WistleStop competition in Huntsville, Alabama? It's May 4-5 this year (more at https://whistlestopweekend.com).

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow CandySueQ that's an impressive smoker! So when you say firepot, are you talking about the firebox itself, or that opening I see in the photos where the heat comes up from the firebox?

Know your timeline well enough that you don’t need to cambro that yardbird
          I wish there were more IBCA contests out here
          Love cookin IBCA

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here