Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooking Question for Ground Turkey Burger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking Question for Ground Turkey Burger

My concern is that it will dry out before it reaches temp. I am thinking about wrapping the patty in foil and then unwrapping for a reverse sear at the end. Has anyone tried something like this? It’s for dinner tonight so I don’t have time to Sous Vide.

I'm afraid I can't be much help personally, I don't grind poultry. I did find this, hope it helps.

Comment

Sear QUICK! Then wrap in foil and take to 165

I use this for not thick enough hamburger patties.

Comment

I cook salmon burgers kind of like Jerod said, but i dont wrap - i just put on the cool side of grill with lid down. I’ve been cooking regular burgers the same way lately to close to well done.

Comment

add ground bacon, or suet/pork fat to the burger. If you are trying to stay all poultry, the globs of fat off of chicken thighs would probably work as well. Also, maybe add an egg or some bread crumbs to help retain the moisture. another option is diced veggies and onions that will "sweat" a bit to add moisture.

Comment

I appreciate the responses. This was requested by my wife - she wanted the meat to be as lean as possible (this was 99% lean) so adding fat wasn't an option. The grocery store had pre-packaged ground chicken in 1 pound quantities. So, in addition to the ground chuck burgers for me and the kids, I made 4 ground chicken patties. I cooked 2 naked and foil-wrapped 2. All 4 were reverse-seared. My wife said the foil-wrapped one was slightly juicier but couldn't really tell much of a difference. Next time I will go with what Jerod Broussard said - sear fast and then wrap.

She had 2 last night and we now have 2 leftover.

Comment

I've tried front sear with turkey burgers and for me that doesn't work. They're too crumbly until they cook through. I find the best option for me is to go indirect the whole time, nekkid. The trick is to cook hot (325-375) and leave them alone until they're almost cooked, flip (if necessary, depending on your cooker) after they've had time to cook at least half way. I take mine to about 160max or they're too dry.

Comment

• JeffJ
                JeffJ commented
                Editing a comment
                Good info. I'll try that next time. I found them difficult to work with. The meat is really sticky.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here