Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inject and Rub, or Rub and Inject?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inject and Rub, or Rub and Inject?

Does it make any difference if you apply the rub first, and then inject. For example, where I use an injection, I inject first. I dump out any accumulated liquid from the pan, and then I apply the rub. I try to do this maybe an hour or two before the cook.

Does it make a difference one way or the other as far as flavor is concerned? Does it make a difference if a good bark is the goal?

I do exactly what you do mainly because I don't want my freshly placed seasoning to wash off the meat !! I really don't get into rubbing or massaging so the last thing I want to do is coat my meat. I guess the other logic to that is the seasoning adheres to the wet meat better so I don't get all stressed about excess injection getting all over the place. Anyway that's the way I do it, nothing scientific about it. I really don't think it makes any difference to taste but gives the bark a better shot at setting.

Comment

I always inject first. Reason being is that sometimes some of the injection likes to ooze out which would wash rub off too. I like to inject, wait an hour or 2 and reinject anything that came out. Then, I wait another hour or so and then rub down and let sit for a few hours if possible before putting on smoker.

Comment

I inject and then dry brine for 24 hours at least. then rinse her off, pat dry, hit with olive oil and rub just before going into the smoker.

Comment

Inject, rub, chill over night, rub again...

Comment

On the rare occasion when I inject... I typically apply the rub to one side (of a butt, for example), flip it over, inject a small amount, and then apply the rub to that side and the edges. I like to get a nice uniform layer of rub, and I hate redoing any of it.

Comment

I rub, set the meat a wire rack for easy transport to the smoker, then inject, then touch up any spot were the injection washed away the rub with more rub, and transfer the meat on the wire rack to the smoker. The theory behind this is that the less you handle and move the meat after injecting the more the injection stays in the meat (not my theory, I got it from a Malcom Reed video). I don't think there is a wrong way, this is just how I do it currently.

Comment

I only inject turkey(with butter)everything else is fine with out (in my unopionated opinion!)

Comment

All the years I've been doing this I have never once injected a piece of meat. I remember watching a episode of BBQ Pitmasters where Johnny Triggs said he had never injected anything in his life. I have had bbq that has been injected with something and yes you could definetly taste the injection flavor but to me it masked too much of the flavor of the meat.
                  A good injection of wood smoke flavor is all I need!

Comment

I don’t inject

Comment

I rarely inject. If I do, I always inject last. The main reason is that if I inject first, the meat will be pumped (literally) with fluid, and any handling at all will cause it to leak. So I rub first, and then place it on a tray for injecting. Then I transfer it very carefully to the grill.

Comment

Your on it. Inject. Make sure all your injection spots are dry. Use paper towel. Then apply the rub. If you dont dry the wet spots the rub will flake off during the cook and leave bald spots.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here