Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overnight cooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overnight cooks

When do you decide if you should cook something overnight? I've read you can hold things in Cambro up to about 6 hours, but you also don't want to have it ready too early right?

Mostly when I have to serve it at lunch time.

Best regards,
    Jim

Comment

If I'm planning pulled pork for lunch, I'm cooking overnight in a kettle with a fan controller. I have done that and a 5+ hr. hold at 150 in the oven and it still turned out great.

Comment

Out of hundreds of briskets and butts I can recall maybe doing two or three during the day. Hence my reason for looking at another cooker. No refueling required.

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          With the number of briskets you cook, the smoker will have to be big enough for you to use the fuse method with unopened bags of KBB lined up.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          So when you comin' down to look at that Tejas ... hmmmm?

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Hmmmm, doesn't Pits and Spits have a pellet grill....

All of my butts and brisket cooks are overnight. I would rather stay up late and start a cook late night or very early morning then go to bed rather than get up a 3am. Holding in the cambro is fine but make sure your temp doesn't get below 140, that's where bacteria will start to grow. Depending on what you are using you may be able to achieve 6 hours. Some folks use the oven too but be careful and wrap it good so the meat doesn't dry out.

Comment

it depends on your cooker, the temps, how big of a piece of meat you are cooking, when you are eating...

before i saw the light and realized that 225 isn't the ONLY way to BBQ, i would smoke pork butts for 24 hours because it would take THAT LONG because of MY cooker and how poorly it performs at that temp. so if i wanted it to be done, i HAD to cook overnight. now i cook at ~250-270 and i start at 6am. sometimes, depending on the meat, i am not done until late evening but at least i can sleep through the night.

Comment

also don't just assume the cambro can be 6 hours. it depends on how well your cooler performs. i wouldn't trust my cooler for longer than 2-3 hours.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here