Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help with Weber Summit 2-zone in a "too much meat" situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with Weber Summit 2-zone in a "too much meat" situation

I'm making the Char Siu recipe found here on a Weber Summit. I have 6 burners (run front to back) plus the extra burner under the wood box. I have about 75 pieces and I can fit them on the grill, however, this falls into the category of "too much meat for a proper 2-zone cook". Technically, I need to cook them altogether as opposed to doing two cooks and have the first group go cold.

I'm assuming I should use a set of burners and water pan them to create the faux 2-zone...

the questions.... which burners should I use? far left and far right ? every other (total 3) ? burner 2 and burner 4 ?

Any help appreciated... cooking tomorrow around 2pm CST.

Welcome to the Pit dpx5 from NE Washington state. Along with tips, techniques, and recipes about BBQ we have a lot of fun. If you like music, go to this thread to hear what others are listening to and share what you like. For jokes, go to this thread. Go to this thread to post where you work and what your hobbies are and get to know other members here. We are happy to have you along and looking forward to your participation. As to your dilemma, I suggest cooking in two groups and wrap the first and keep it in the oven (or Cambo/faux cambro) to keep warm while cooking the second group.

Comment

Sorry I can’t help you with your question but welcome to The Pit.

Comment

I think you will be just fine.

It really doesn't matter what side your indirect zone is on. However, make sure your highest heat source is as far away as possible in the cooking chamber. (If your indirect some is on the right, the far left burner is going to be running hot.

Start with your far burner on high and see how your grill settles on the indirect side. If it won't heat the other side to 225 F, then turn on the next set of burners to get the temp to jump up. The tendon set of burners will, more than likely, be on low.

Meathead goes into detail here.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. I don't have a gasser, so I can't comment.

Comment

As Spinaker said, which side doesn't matter. But you might want to get a second tier, whether it be circular or rectangular just something that will fit under the hood and double your cooking area.

Welcome!

Comment

I think you will find that you only need one burner, far left or right doesn't matter, to maintain 225 if the outdoor temp is reasonable. Two will be plenty -- outside on max, the one next to it at whatever level is required to make the temp.

As far as managing the too-much-meat problem goes (not the worst problem, by the way ... ) a second tier will work fine. That's what I would do. Not sure the faux cambro method will work with such small pieces of meat, but I haven't tried it so don't know.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here