Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken Wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken Wings

Last night I threw some chicken wings on my camp chef. Before the cook throughout the day I had been trying to come up with a new chicken wing rub. I then thought about Huskees rib rub. Except I left out the brown sugar and added the cayenne. All in all, the rub turned out great. Smoked the wings at 225ish for 15 minutes then cranked it up to 325 for another 15 minutes and came out perfect with great color. Used a good amount of hickory chunks to really get that smoke flavor.

Huskee Thanks! Click image for larger version

Name:	04B09C25-654D-4664-8484-0DB8876FE0E9.jpeg
Views:	179
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	448351 ​​​​​​​

Good lookin' color on those wings. Skin turn out crispy enough?

Comment

• cwain8845
      cwain8845 commented
      Editing a comment
      Skin turned out great. May not show it too well with the pic but skin got crisp. Maybe could have popped them under the broiler for a couple minutes but we were too hungry to wait for that.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I know the feeling. It's like sous vide coming out all gray and nasty looking until you bite in and then dig in and can't stop lol

Those wings look great! Sounds like you hit home with that rub.

Comment

I can't get enough smoked wings or thighs. Those look great!

Comment

Great looking wings. I too cannot get enough.
        Smoked, deep fried, grilled or any combination there of.

Comment

Wow I usually go a good hour, sometimes longer, at 325 with mine, but I like my wings extra well done. Glad you liked the rub, they look great!

Comment

• cwain8845
            cwain8845 commented
            Editing a comment
            Well the wings I used were from costco that came in that pack of 6 called "party wings". So they are on the smaller side. Can get overcooked. And i started at 225 to let them get a lot of smoke then cranked it up to get crisp skin. If i would have just started at 325 then they would have only cooked for 25-30 min and they wouldnt have gotten enough time with smoke.

• BigCountryQ
            BigCountryQ commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree with Huskee, this is the way I typically do chicken as well. Having said that, I think your approach was well thought out and maybe I'll just have to try that on some of the smaller chicken wings I have in the freezer. Thanks for the tip cwain8845

Beautiful! Love me some wings!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Unknown-2.jpeg
Views:	111
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	448465

Comment

Those look great!!

That’s how I like to do wings too. Smoke them for 30 mins then I’ll either deep fry or grill to finish. I think cooking them low and slow at first renders a lot of the fat out and helps the skin crisp better?

Comment

That's the way to wing it.

Comment

RonB That's kinda wings a bell.

Comment

BELLieve me. I'm winging my hands over those crispies. HouseHomey

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here