Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot Pickles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot Pickles

Heard of a friend of a friend that was treated to some hot pickles in central TX. He called them Buffalo turds. Anyone know the recipe?

Buffalo turds is jalapeños fill with cream cheese with meat of your choice then wrap with bacon. Add some rub and smoked them.

They are also known as ABT (Atomic Buffalo Turds)
    Last edited by DWCowles; January 31, 2018, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Never heard the term 'Buffalo Turds', thanks DWCowles for the enlightenment. I had deep fried pickles in Grand Forks, BC once, that's the only time I've had pickles hot (temperature wise) and was surprised how good they were.

Comment

DWCowles we call them "bombs" in Louisiana. Duck bombs, deer bombs, chicken bombs. Never heard of hot pickles though. There are fried pickles in just about every restaurant here though.

Comment

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes sir!!!!

• HorseDoctor
            HorseDoctor commented
            Editing a comment
            ATB = Absolutely the best recipe for dove breast!

Perhaps they were hot as in "Chile/Spicy hot?"

Comment

I wonder if Meathead knows about hot pickles, I will forward this to him to see....hang tight

Comment

Up in the north country, we slice them to about a half inch, batter them and then deep fry. We call them bottle caps.

Comment

I think I know what you had. It is a regular dill pickle that has some heat to it. I have had them, and if they are not too hot they are great fun. I made one batch by using this recipe and tripling the chile pepper content https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...ll-pickles-and

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                  HorseDoctor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have done a similar recipe for spicy pickles that was quite good. Best part was when the pickles were gone, refill the jar with hard boiled eggs. Refrigerate for a a couple weeks = Hot Pickled Eggs! Awesome!

I'm gonna try all 3. Beef Bombs, Hot pickles, hot hard boiled eggs.

Thanks.

M.
                Last edited by Mark E.; February 2, 2018, 06:19 AM.

Comment

ABT's are awesome, I've been making those longer than just about anything else on the smoker. When I think of hot pickles I think of any spicy pickled vegetable. Cucumbers of course, but also beans, asparagus, etc. Deep fried pickles are another thing, I've often seen them called frickles. Looks to me like there are a lot of opinions on what your friend may have had. You may have to ask for more details.

Comment

I have a recipe for some Cajun Pickles that are hot and really sweet- almost like candy. A diabetic friend forgot they had sugar in them and kept eating almost going into a diabetic coma.

Comment

We used to make what we called hot pickles all the time when my kids were little.
                      Empty the juice from a large jar of dill slices. Gallon size jar.
                      Add 2 cups sugar.
                      Add a half bottle of tabasco.
                      Set in the fridge for a week or 2. Shake them up every couple of days
                      Spicy-sweet-hot.
                      Kind of gives them a texture and taste of a bread and butter pickle and the taste is kind of addictive.

It works with sliced jalapeños also.
                      Large jar of jalapeños.
                      Empty the juice.
                      Add 1 1/2 cups sugar.
                      Set in the fridge for a week. Shake them up every couple of days.

The jalapeños are AWESOME diced up and mixed into cream cheese as a dip for Ritz crackers. The pickles are good to just snack on.

The pickles and jalapeños will both regenerate their juice. The juice is thickened by the sugar.
                      Last edited by Cheef; February 2, 2018, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here