Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two way STL ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two way STL ribs

I have a slab of Saint Louis Ribs going on the pellet smoker today. I've done STL and BBB with Meathead's Memphis Dust in the past and they came out great. Today I want to see what the crutch debate is all about so I plan to split the rack in half and prep both with MMD. I was thinking smoking 3 hours at 225 and then wraping one for 2 hours and unwrapping for the last hour. any suggestions? (besides don't do it! lol)

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	117
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	446400

Sounds like a plan, happy smoking!

Comment

Good plan, let us know how it turned out!

Comment

Yep, that’s what the experts do. I have done them that way and didn’t care for them. It was a lot of cooks ago though so my fire control was not great either.

Comment

I have done the 3-2-1 many of times. Just make sure to wrap it tight.

Comment

• smokenoob
            smokenoob commented
            Editing a comment
            double wrapped em' tight!

I don't see anything wrong with that approach, I have done them that way many times.

Comment

Awaiting the final report.

Comment

I hope these came out Amzing fer ya!

Comment

• smokenoob
                smokenoob commented
                Editing a comment
                They're still cookin', I'll post results before they disappear!

4 hours in.....luckily have beer
              (not DOTI yet)

Click image for larger version

Name:	F8546660-F85A-4B70-8D9A-00181982A245.jpeg
Views:	112
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	446594

Comment

Well, it appears we are a house divided on crutch or crutch-not ribs. My DW prefered the crutch, I prefered the crutch-not (figures!)
                So to recap: both halves dry brined and dusted with MMD, smoked on pellet smoker 3 hours at 225. One half crutched in 2 layers of HD alum foil tight, other half still naked. After 2 hours in foil the crutched ribs had IT 207 (uh-oh....), they were placed out of smoker and in oven warm tray. Hour later crutch-not ribs hit 203 so all were served.

Now that DW prefers the crutch, next time I will put the crutch half on one hour later.
                Smokenoob out!

Click image for larger version  Name:	E728DADD-543F-474B-A9ED-2C24D0259DC8.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.09 MB ID:	446677Click image for larger version  Name:	3BA81B23-0E27-466F-A0E3-8C0B5224E3AA.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.61 MB ID:	446678

Comment

Those ribs look delicious, amigo!
                  Great write up!

Comment

• smokenoob
                    smokenoob commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Bones! It was a fun cook and learned something.

Looks very good! My wife also prefers the crutch ribs.

Comment

My wife prefers the crutched ribs as well. After the crutch I always direct grill for a bit to sear them a little and set some sauce if not serving with just the Memphis dry rub.

Comment

• smokenoob
                      smokenoob commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I'll try that next time when I get the timing right, thanks!

The wife and I prefer ribs without the crutch. Makes them a little too tender for our liking but looks like a great cook regardless!

Comment

IF I crutch pork ribs (not often) I always add some parkay squirt margarine, brown sugar, and honey to the top of the ribs before they go in the foil.

Comment

• smokenoob
                        smokenoob commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Oh, sounds like I have more things to try on the crutch side!

• jfmorris
                        jfmorris commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Good point. A lot fo people add some moisture when they crutch the ribs. I use a splash of apple juice, or whatever beer I have in my hand while at the smoker...

• smokenoob
                        smokenoob commented
                        Editing a comment
                        doh, shows you what a noob I am, I used water when I had a beer in my hand!

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here