Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide-Que Pork Belly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide-Que Pork Belly

I am in the process of making this recipe right now. Pork belly has been in the hot tub since around lunchtime yesterday. Won't quite get 36 hours in the tub but I think it'll still come out great. I'll report back after eating it for dinner tonight.

Wahoo!! I am doing the same. I jsut put mine in this morning at 6 am.

Did you marinate before the bath? Or did you put the marinade in the bag, then SV, like the recipe suggests?

Next time, I am going to do it both ways; to see which way I like better. I have never thrown the marinade in the SV bag before, then cooked. So I am curious.

Looking forward to seeing your results. What are you using to throw some smoke down?

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm open to experimentation. But that pork belly purge should be fairly incredible. I dunno that I'd reduce that much, though. Reducing salty marinade results in overly salty purge. And now we're sounding dirty.

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Potkettleblack the purge in the mhscrooms and onions in a burger is FAMTASTIC. Tri tip, fried chicken gravy, pork etc... I'm sold.

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't judge my spelling.. I use talk to text.

Spinaker I put the marinade in the bag for SVing. Followed the directions how Clint had it. Think I’ll be doing a mix of hickory and cherry during the smoke and prolly just setting up my Weber 2-zone.
    Last edited by cwain8845; January 25, 2018, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Final results here. Came out succulent! Used a mix of cherry and hickory for flavor and was delicious! Wife and I enjoyed it greatly! Only thing I would take from is we did not get much of the Asian flavor from the marinade much. Not sure why but just didn’t have that flavor profile much at all. Click image for larger version

Name:	BCBB8FC2-8EA7-462C-B497-2E14A1FAD959.jpeg
Views:	122
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	445350Click image for larger version

Name:	990CEEDD-F3AD-4C56-9BE5-FEF688F38488.jpeg
Views:	125
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	445344Click image for larger version

Name:	21BA2502-43AF-4109-80F2-F596F31C215C.jpeg
Views:	117
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	445351Click image for larger version

Name:	D783207D-6654-47F1-A0D3-A2AF6C5F591B.jpeg
Views:	119
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	445352
      Attached Files

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah. Doc Blonder wins. Again.

I’d pre-smoke, SV, then make a glaze out of the marinade. Same surface action, less flavor dilution.

Looks great.
        Last edited by Potkettleblack; January 25, 2018, 10:14 PM.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Might want to try something along the lines of Meathead's Chinatown ribs for the flavor - gotta get some 5-spice powder in there.

They look fabulous!

Comment

cwain8845 Gorgeous! Thanks for the feed back. I am wondering if you were to marinate the meat for about 12 hours before the SV step. And then SV with just the belly in the bag, if the flavor would be any different. My next round of testing should tell me. Thanks for sharing! Great cook!

Comment

• cwain8845
          cwain8845 commented
          Editing a comment
          The next time I make this I am going to marinade overnight then SV(w/o the marinade). And I may take the extra step and reduce the marinade to a glaze almost and brush that over the belly the last couple of minutes of the cook.
          You could also make other types of glazes like pineapple glaze or some sort. That would prolly go really well with the belly.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds like a plan. That is pretty similar to what I am going to try as well. cwain8845

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here