Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Santa Maria Style BBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Santa Maria Style BBQ

Santa Maria Style BBQ Tri Tip Sandwiches 101.
    Tri Tip trimmed and seasoned 24 hours ahead of time, per Meathead advice.
    Garlic butter with TONS of fresh garlic and spices.
    French bread lathered generously with garlic butter.
    Alder wood for smoking and grilling. Red Oak from the central California coast is a must, but I live in Washington, so Alder is a good sub.
    Roll the tri tip around over the fire for 45 minutes, med rare.
    Lay the bread crust side down first to melt the garlic butter into the bread.
    Turn it, but be ready! Just want to toast the bread and the garlic and herbs, not too much burn!
    Enjoy with a cool beverage!
    Notice, I asked my wife to save the grape vines for me to use on a future steak night. Another Meathead advisement! Great for searing.
    Attached Files

Wow! This is epic! Love the grill!

Who makes the grill you have? I like that grill in the back ground.

Comment

no pics o the sammiches?!?!?! DIDNT HAPPEN! lol

Comment

This looks FANTASTIC! The only advise I would give is bigger pics. BIGGER PICS man! That looks good!

Comment

Santa Maria Outfitters for the grills. The smaller one to the left is their "Tailgater", I call it the Keychain version. I don't know how to do bigger pictures, but I will work on it. Texastweeter: Sorry I don't have the pics of the sammiches. I guarantee there were sammiches, and they were delicious! LOL. Thanks man Thanks everybody. I love this site. I love BBQ! If I had to have only ONE cooking utensil, it would be a BBQ!

Comment

I gotta get something like that. Really cool. johnardoin I see those tri tips are pretty close to the coals in that pic. Any idea what the temp is at the grate when you do that?

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              Easy 007.
              Haaaa👍

• johnardoin
              johnardoin commented
              Editing a comment
              It was really windy, actually hard to get coals going, started low, but adjusted height constantly. Of course, as soon as I was done, wind died and sun came out.

WOW. As Spinaker said. This is epic!!
            I keep seeing these grills and am getting a real itch.

Comment

Fabulous!!!

Comment

I call it the "Texas Santa Anna"!

Same idea really and I love it!

Click image for larger version

Name:	santa.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	444619

Comment

• lonnie mac
                  lonnie mac commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It will adjust quite high too with the all-thread. Spinaker, I need to fire this thing up brother!

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Get it goin'!!

• johnardoin
                  johnardoin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice set up. I've wanted one of those for a while. it's on the list!

Ya got my mouth waterin' big time.

Comment

I really enjoy tri tip. Love that grill! I do mine on the kettle rotisserie, but if I had your grill, I’d go "official" style....thanks for posting!

Comment

It's hard to be fire and Tri tip.

Comment

As the others said: Epic! Man, those tri tips look good! Love that fifth picture with the roaring fire.

Comment

• johnardoin
                        johnardoin commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yeah, after the butter melts down in to the bread and then you flip it to toast the inside, the butter drips into the fire and flares, I really appreciate the adjustable height grill right about then.

Wow that is above excellence! My Santa Maria is out at my sons house in indoor storage for the winter. Now I want to get it out! johnardoin where is Santa Maria Outfitters out of? I have never heard of them. Mine came from Arizona BBQ Outfitters.
                      You can do so much with a Santa Maria they are great to cook on. I have lots of red oak available in my area and is what I primarily use in my stick burners but I hear the central California stuff is different than what you will find anywhere else.

Comment

Super Fun!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here