Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Culotte ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Culotte ideas

Culotte is one of my favorite cuts of beef, and I actually cook it fairly often. I usually let the flavor of the beef speak for itself, and just salt it before pan searing it it's own rendered fat cap.

I've yet to be disappointed by this approach, but am curious if anyone has any other preparations they like. Cooking it outside a pan seems like it would be a waste of all that amazing fat, but I could also see maybe trimming off the fat and rendering it separately, putting the meat on the grill low and slow, and then throwing it in a pan with the fat at the end to crisp it up.

Picanha is one of my favorite cuts! Are you cooking it whole, or sliced? If cooking whole I do the following: I trim some, not all, of the fat cap, leaving about 1/4-1/3 inch. Season with coarse ground pepper, garlic powder, paprika, a little cayenne and coarse salt. Then I smoke it with a little wood at 250f until a probe in the thickest part reads 127f. Then I wrap it in foil, rest for about 15 minutes (taboo here, sorry!). Then I render some of the fat I trimmed of in a hot cast iron pan, sear the meat side first, then the sides, and then, quickly because it burns in seconds if you're not careful, I sear the fat side. Then slice against the grain in thin cuts and sprinkle with some Maldon salt. This is the last one I did, unfortunately everyone was so hungry no one took pics of the inside, but it was a nice medium rare.

Let us know what you try out! Good luck!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Photo 12-22-17, 9 39 56 PM.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.35 MB ID:	443833

Comment

• joshourisman
      joshourisman commented
      Editing a comment
      That's looks fantastic! I generally get them sliced, because my butcher usually has them in the case, but I'm going to have to call in an order to get it whole so I can try that.

• gijsveltman
      gijsveltman commented
      Editing a comment
      joshourisman definitely get it whole! It's so good, but keep it medium-rare to medium. Also, get some Choice or Prime USDA, in my experience lesser cuts tend to be extremely chewy. And let us know how it turns out!

Great pic!

Comment

• gijsveltman
      gijsveltman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

slap ya mama!!!!

Comment

gijsveltman I'm not sure what the grade is that I get. Definitely not prime but I've been SV the whole thing for a few hours around 120. Then I slice them a couple fingers thick. Hit it w this great bbq salt mix I get at Seabra and then sear it by flipping constantly on the grill to get the fat to melt all over the meat. Freaking delicious. Every time I make Picanha I think of you. Thanks so much for turning me on to this cut. I love it.

Comment

JCBBQ that's awesome, I'm so glad I could help! Picanha is a really really good cut! What I meant about grades is, down here, we get a lot of meat from nearby countries and it is (generally) tough and has a liver-y taste. So I always try to search out for imported USDA Choice or CAB when I can find it, even if it is a little more expensive.

I've never SVed one before, but I'll definitely follow your advice because it sounds great. I like to reverse sear because I think the thick fat cap gets fantastic smokey flavor this way.

I'll try your method and get back to you when I do!

Comment

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Also the SV allows you to make it as tender as you want.

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          BTW, how'd you cook those potatoes? They look delicious too.

JCBBQ Those potatoes are real easy! It's a recipe from Francis Mallmann's book "Mallmann on Fire". The guy is a genius. You take 1 cup of extra-virgin olive oil (the good stuff!), and mix it with 1 cup loosely packed fresh rosemary. Let that rest overnight so the oil can absorb the rosemary flavor. When you are ready to cook, preheat a a cast-iron pan in a 350f oven for about 30 minutes. Boil the potatoes in salted water until tender, let them cool a little and cut them in half. Coat the bottom of the pan with the rosemary oil (not too much!) then place the potatoes cut side up, and coat lightly with the rosemary oil, making sure a lot of the rosemary stays on the potatoes. Then sprinkle with kosher salt and coarse ground black pepper, and place in the oven, roasting until golden brown and crunchy. They're really good, and go great with big, juicy cuts like picanha or ribeye.

Comment

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Awesome. Thanks.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here