Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Searing backwards.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Searing backwards.....

All my Q'ing life I have been searing a steak first then cooking on a pretty hot grill for about 5 minutes per side to get medium rare. My wife likes medium well and I like medium rare. On a hot fire the steak passed through the desired serving temps pretty quick and could easily be overdone. After reading Meathead's book, forums, and threads my new approach is the reverse sear. Last night I set up my propane Napoleon 500 with 2 zone heat. Left two burners on high and right two burners off. That gave me about 250-275 deg on the right and hot (didn't measure) on the left. I put my DW's (Dear Wife's) steak on the low side first with a temp probe. When hers hit about 130 deg I put my steak on. When hers hit 155 I seared it on the hot side for about 1 minutes per side then I seared mine similarly. Both came out perfect at desired serving temps! Happy wife, happy home!
    I'm really learning a lot here, thanks to all!

ps: I didn't use the sear burner because it was 30 deg and wind +25 mph......it kept blowing out! I will be trying that when weather cooperates.

Good work! As you get further along there's another technique you can try that employs both of these. The front sear. Different than standard sear-first-then-keep-cooking-hot & fast. Instead, you sear first to your liking then move it to the cooler indirect side to slowly get up to target. Kind of a reverse reverse sear.

Comment

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      Are you trying to trick the new kid????

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      smokenoob Dang, busted again! But seriously it's another trick in the tool bag.

How are you liking the Napoleon 500? I got one this fall Pro 500 built in so don't have the sear station but will be using my grill grates flat side up or a cast skillet for the sear. I love mine!

Comment

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      I've had it 5 years now and am very happy with it except for the quality of stainless steel. Although,I do live surrounded by salt water, humidity, and a salt pool and have to do an annual stainless clean up with barkeepers friend.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here