Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

nitrate and curing salts as seasonings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nitrate and curing salts as seasonings

I was reading the myth regarding the smoke ring. As described, you don't need smoke to produce the smoke ring and i wanted to personally bust this myth by creating a smoke ring on a pork tenderloin roasted in the oven. I intended to add nitrate and curing salts before cooking to accomplish such affect, however, i also read in Meathead's Science of Great Barbecue that you are not suppose to use nitrate and curing salts as a seasoning (page 33.) I have since put my experiment on hold until i do further research. Is it there some type of health concern or is it just stating that curing salts are not to confused as seasoning salts? I also feel I may be using nitrATE and nitrITE improperly and / or interchangeability and don't exactly know the difference between the two.

Sodium NITRITE is what is in Prague Powder #1, which is what I normally use for curing. Prague powder #1 is salt with 6.25% sodium NITRITE added. Sometimes called pink salt, because it has food coloring added to avoid confusion with table salt.

For those interested, the difference between the two is one oxygen atom. Nitrate has 3 oxygen atoms, nitrite has 2.

Here is a link to Chef Steps and Meathead doing indoor ribs.
    ChefSteps is here to make cooking more fun. Get recipes, tips, and videos that show the whys behind the hows for sous vide, grilling, baking, and more.

Last edited by Thunder77; January 12, 2018, 09:01 AM.

Comment

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Morton’s Tender Quick has both as well. It is salt and 0.5% sodium nitrite, and 0.5% sodium nitrate.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah. I wouldn’t use that for curing, as it’s pretty low concentration of the stuff. But I wouldn’t use it as a tenderizer, either. I don’t really understand that.

• Psinderson
      Psinderson commented
      Editing a comment
      I just posted on another thread about Nitrates and I now realize I sound like an idiot! 🤭

Here’s the key:

The small quantities used in curing meats is harmless, but in large quantities can be lethal.

you’re using the nitrite and nitrate in PP2 as a food safety issue, to allow the safe smoking at lower temp without fear of incubating botulism. But since the stuff is toxic in large quantities, you really want to limit your use.

This process has a step for fixing a smoke ring without using a smoker:
    ChefSteps is here to make cooking more fun. Get recipes, tips, and videos that show the whys behind the hows for sous vide, grilling, baking, and more.

I did it but I can’t find my pictures. Probably on my work computer. Works very well.

Comment

Potkettleblack , thanks for that link. I knew Chef steps had done something like that, but I couldn’t remember when.

Comment

You can put Morton's TQ on a brisket, for a few minutes, then rinse it off. It will make a helluva "smoke ring".

Click image for larger version

Name:	935167_10202223324162783_454524486_n.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	438589

Comment

Welcome slideways_4s

Comment

Originally posted by slideways_4s View Post
            I was reading the myth regarding the smoke ring. As described, you don't need smoke to produce the smoke ring and i wanted to personally bust this myth by creating a smoke ring on a pork tenderloin roasted in the oven. I intended to add nitrate and curing salts before cooking to accomplish such affect, however, i also read in Meathead's Science of Great Barbecue that you are not suppose to use nitrate and curing salts as a seasoning (page 33.) I have since put my experiment on hold until i do further research. Is it there some type of health concern or is it just stating that curing salts are not to confused as seasoning salts? I also feel I may be using nitrATE and nitrITE improperly and / or interchangeability and don't exactly know the difference between the two.
            The point is you just need certain gases to produce the smoke ring, not visible smoke.

You can also use food coloring to get a smoke ring. Here chef steps uses curing salt for an indoor brisket.

Comment

First, do not use Sodium NITRATE (as contained in Prague Powder #2) on anything you want to cook and eat right away. It is intended for use in meats that are cured for extended periods of time, during which time the NITRATE converts to NITRITE.

You want to use Prague Powder #1, which contains table salt and sodium nitrite, for the artificial smoke ring you've read about. You can also use the TenderQuick stuff as well. And the amount used is very very small - about 1/4 teaspoon per pound of meat at the most. You have to be very careful not to use more than the recommended amount. You will normally mix it into a brining solution to spread on the surface of the meat, so that 1/4 teaspoon per pound goes a lot farther than you thing. It only takes a few parts per million of sodium nitrite to bring out the pink color in the myoglobin in the outer layer of the meat, in the same manner that a smoke ring does.

I've got Prague powder #1 here, but only for the purposes of curing beef jerky.

Comment

• Thunder77
                Thunder77 commented
                Editing a comment
                Me too. I use mine for bacon, corned beef, and Canadian bacon. Never tried using it just to get a smoke ring.

They are both preservatives and should ONLY be used in approved quantities to penetrate deep into meat and not sprinkled on the surface for flavoring.

Comment

I'm simply not sure why you would want to do this at all. I don't get it.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The thrill of it all. Like putting garlic in a Sous Vide bag for three days.

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Exactly. If I want a smoke ring, I’ll smoke my meat, not SV it. I’ve read of this practice but don’t see the point. No one who eats my meat cares about the smoke ring other than me, and I sure am not gonna try to fake one.

• slideways_4s
                  slideways_4s commented
                  Editing a comment
                  following a friendly wager among friends, i have a bottle of Maker's Mark headed my way when i do it.,..

Potkettleblack Nope. Just nope, no, negative and Negatory! Just saying for me anyhow. But who knows, I also like SV Tritip for 3 or 4 hours. "He's a wild one folks!"

Comment

Jerod,
                  great video. Just what i was looking for. Thanks

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                    Jerod Broussard commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Have fun enjoying the fruits of your spoils.

If you are looking to simulate a smoke ring, and not for flavoring, that's doable. Here's a recipe of mine where I used nitrite on pork ribs cooked indoors with the ChefSteps boys. https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...na-indoor-ribs

Comment

• mikek
                    mikek commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Can you use this same recipe on pork butt if you are going to SV it and then finish in the smoker for bark?

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here