Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide Chuckies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide Chuckies

Here's the plan: I put two 3.5 lb chuck roasts in the hot tub running steady at 155 degrees, will pull them out after about 27 hours and smoke on the W22 for 3 hrs. Does this sound OK, or should I adjust? Thanks for the future feedback.

You're gonna want to shock and chill before putting on the smoker. Icewater shock for 10-15 minutes, or longer, then fridge to fridge temp.

You're also gonna want to pinch test at 24, and see if it's done. Or 27. I don't do a lot of chuck at that temp, as I like it medium rare and longer, but 24 should be sufficient to breakdown the collagen there.

That's gonna throw a lot of purge. Do follow the plan I laid out in the sticky, and add back to the roast when you pull it, or make a dip if you slice it.

Comment

What do you want your end product to be? Medium rare "steak like"? Well done yet sliceable (brisket like)? Or, well done and pullable? At 155 you are obviously going for well done. 27 hours might be a little short for maximum tender yet still sliceable. Serious Eats does 36 Hours. For pulled beef you may want 48 hours. Only guesstimating as I have only done SV chucks looking for a steak like result. I'm sure you will get other opinions soon.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Shooting for brisket-like. Hmmm, might have to put them on the smoker for a low and slow tomorrow morning.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      As I said, you pinch it, see how you feel about the tenderness. I would recommend removing the bag from the 155* water before pinching.

I did a whole packer brisket, cut in two, Sous Vide at 155* for exactly 24 hours, ice shocked until the internal temp was below 60*, exactly 3 hour smoke and I loved the result, maybe a chuckle would give you good results at the same temp/times.

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Boom!! As HorseDoctor said! How was that smoke on there? Curious.

• SMOG MAN
      SMOG MAN commented
      Editing a comment
      I smoked it on the Rec Tec and was surprised, to me the same as when I do it entirely on the Rec Tec.

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      This is what I'm going to do. I'll post results.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here