Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Food freezing guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food freezing guide

Quality, not safety. If it was safe when you froze it, your great grandkids could eat it, granted it stayed froze and they don't mind some possible off odors.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5...b003133ecd23f8

Good article.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	bcac10d07a65e588b372c7713d2a9f88.png
Views:	64
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	437836

Comment

I'm at work. I don't have time today to read such articles.😀 Yawn.....

Comment

Thanks for posting this. This is an area I've always had questions about.

Comment

Thanx JRod.

Comment

good to know

Comment

4-12 months for meat. I’m glad it’s so specific.

Comment

I've always wondered about this. Kicking myself for recently throwing out some 2 year old filets of catfish I caught. .

Comment

Ok...

Comment

About a month ago, I got some smoked ham I cooked in 2015 out of the freezer, it tasted like I just took it off the smoker. In vacuum packed bag. Most of the time my rule of thumb is one year. I'm not dead , nor did I get sick.

Comment

Thanks! Now I don’t feel so bad maybe trying that beef that’s been at the bottom of my chest freezer for a LONG time. Perhaps it will suck, but at least I now know it is safe to try.

Comment

We've cooked ducks and fish years after freezing. All were froze with water in the bags.

Comment

• Steve R.
                            Steve R. commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I always do water in the bag for fish. The more you know...

• HorseDoctor
                            HorseDoctor commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Covered with water or vacuum packed. Both seal pout air and prevent freezer burn/drying. I've eaten some vac-packed venison that got lost in the freezer so long the "statute of limitations" had nearly expired and it was just fine.

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here